Transformer--Subpanel Wiring

I'm trying to get a handle on exactly what to ask of my electrician. I've been searching past threads for awhile now and I might know just enough to ask questions. I'm going to need power for the usual array of AV toys: monos, a pre-amp, CDP, TT, tuner, and plasma TV, BluRay, etc., and I hope to do things right. I plan to install a 5kva transformer and a subpanel for six dedicated lines as well as whole house surge suppression and a isolated ground.

1) Which is more desirable--to pull a 240V feeder from the service before it goes to the main panel or from a double breaker at the main panel? If I use the double breaker, does it make a difference where it is located within the main panel?

2) Should I use the isolation transformer to stepdown to 120V or should I take 240V to the sub?

3) Which audio/video components need to be on the same phase?

4) I've only seen diagrams on wiring a main service panel. What is the sub going to look like if I stepdown to 120V? Will it involve taking only one hot leg off the transformer secondary with a center-tap neutral, resulting in something that looks like one side of the main panel? I would think that this would put everything in the sub on the same phase. Correct? Is this the way to go?

5) Anything else I should be mindful of?

I greatly appreciate the help.
iabirder
To give you an idea of the running cost.

On my 5KVA, in sequence of testing tonight...

With amps in A mode, no music playing
primary (240V) 3.3-3.5A, secondary (120V) 6.3-6.7A (approx 95% eff)

With amps in A/B mode, no music playing
primary 0.9A , secondary 0.9A

amps switched off
primary 0.6A (144W - got light bulbs more than that)

So, either I was wrong with my earlier statement or conditions were different on previous test. Your results may vary.

Bigger transformers have less of an exciting current as a % of the total KVA but will always be more than a smaller xformer.
==========

Are you ready for this? Does your electrician have a heart condition?

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze22yzp/id10.html
Some of the links are broken or misplaced but not completely dead yet.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/55.html

http://www.contractorsav.com/article/2006/11/07/ac-power
Maybe slightly biased

My experience has been that balanced AC has little benefit for power amps but has been occasionally dramatic with sources and preamps.
My understanding is that if I'm needing 20 amps on a circuit, then I will need a 20 amp breaker at the subpanel, because a 15 amp breaker would trip. And a circuit protected by a 20 amp breaker would require #12AWG or larger, because 20 amps would overheat anything smaller. Is this correct?
02-01-11: Iabirder
More than likely your ARC power amp/s requires it to be connected to a 20 amp branch circuit. Not because it draws anywhere near 2400 va (20 amps x 120V = 2400 va), but rather because of the amount of inrush current the amp draws when it is first turned on. Read the owners manual for the Amp.

So why use 20 amp branch circuits for other equipment instead of 15 amp? 15 amp would be more than enough. If VD, (voltage drop), is an issue #12 or #10 wire could be used and terminated a on 15 amp breaker. The breaker determines the size of the branch circuit.

First a little back ground info. In most cases, if not all today, the guts inside a good quality 15 amp receptacle are the same as a 20 amp receptacle. The only difference is the face plate. A 15 amp recept will only accept a 15 amp male plug. It's a safety thing... Most 15 amp branch circuits use #14 awg wire, bare minimum per NEC, which is rated for 15 amps. NEMA /UL /CSA requires manufactures that use a cord and plug for an appliance/equipment cannot exceed 12 amps FLA continuous load if a 15 amp plug is used.

Per NEC code 2 or more 15 amp receptacles can be installed on a 20 amp branch circuit. ( a duplex is two recepts.)

Per NEC code a 20 amp receptacle can only be installed on a 20 amp branch circuit.

So if you want to install Oyaide R1 recepts, per NEC code, the branch circuit must be a 20 amp.... Per code it cannot be installed on a 15 amp branch circuit.

If a manufacture builds a piece of equipment with a cord and plug that draws more than 12 amps continuous FLA then he must use a NEMA 5-20P plug. A 20 amp plug will not plug into a 15 amp recept. The max allowable continuous FLA for a 5-20P plug is 16 amps, 1920 va.

If I have 80 amps worth of breakers on the subpanel, would I need to have at least an 80 amp breaker protecting the feeder on the main panel? And then the feeder size would be based on whatever wire can handle 80 amps? Can I have an even larger breaker on the main panel as long as I increase the size of my feeder appropriately?

You could have 200 amps worth of breakers in a panel. The main breaker a head of the branch circuit breakers is the gate keeper.... If the main breaker has a handle rating of 60 amps any continuous load of 60 amps and over will/should trip the breaker open. Technically, per NEC, the max continuous load placed on the breaker should not exceed 80%. Same for a branch circuit breaker, 80%.

In a residential environment most convenience outlet branch circuits have very little load if any on them. In a bedroom maybe a clock radio, table lamps, TV.... A 15 amp branch circuit with maybe an amp or two of load at any given time. Family room, living room, den, 15 amp branch circuit/s with hardly any load. Several 15 amp branch circuits breakers in the panel but hardly any load at any given time of the day.
Night time add a few lights.

20 amp branch circuits? Kitchen has a few required by NEC.
Microwave
dish washer
refrigerator
garbage disposal
GFI recepts above the counter tops for what ever....
Most of the time during the day they just sit idle. But when needed the branch circuit must be able to handle the load placed upon it.

Laundry room.
20 amp branch circuit for the washer
30 amp 240V branch circuit for the cloths dryer.

The list goes on and on. Lots of branch circuits and breakers. At any given time of the day hardly any load if any.

I believe you were talking about installing 4 new dedicated circuits for your audio/video equipment. Other than the inrush current of the ARC power amp/s a 15 amp circuit would more than likely handle all the connected load. More than likely a 20 amp branch circuit would handle the inrush current of the ARC amp/s plus the rest of the equipment.

So why do you want 4 dedicated circuits? Why do some guys have 10?

Here is just one post on the subject. There are many out there...
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/16/167770.html

Ngjockey,
It sounds like maybe having the transformer on isn't as costly as we feared. Also that formula I posted for excitation current wasn't correct--I forgot to include the frequency in Hz. so I=E/(2 x 3.14 x Hz x L) where I is the excitation current in Amps, E is the voltage, 3.14 is pi, and L is the inductance of the transformer in Henries.
Thanks for those links. I hadn't yet looked into balanced power. Looks like I'll be busy.

Jim,
I don't have any problem with two of the circuits being 15 amp. I think four 20 amps circuits just made discussing the hypotheticals easier. Thanks for the info on the plugs and outlets. That would have probably tripped me up at some point. I read the thread you linked. And I printed off the Hansen paper--can't wait to read it.

In case anyone else is interested, here is the link for it: The AC Power Line and Audio Equipment, by Charles Hansen
http://www.conceptorg.com/techlibrary/PowerTechnology/AC_and_Audio.pdf

I appreciate greatly all the help you've both provided. I'll check back in to see if anyone adds anything more. But I'm now going to retreat to my reading and my drawing board.

Chris