Trans Temp W, Magic Diamond cartridges - comments

Thanks to these forums, I feel like I know everything there is to know about ZYX's, but has anyone anything to say about the new Transfiguration Temper W? How about this year's cult fave, the Bluelectric Magic Diamond (Lloyd Walker's current favorite.)
128x128nsgarch
I use a temper V which I interchange with my Conrad EF1 phono stage. The EF1 can't handle the lower output, so I am using the Shelter currently.

On my system, the Amazon turtable was voiced with Transfiguration cartridges, and I must say it is fantastic.

The Temper V, even with the EF1, is just so right. I've heard VDH cartridges, which I find have great finesse, but are a bit thin and gold (at least in the guise I heard it and I know they have infinite variations). I found the Lyra helikon a bit hard at the top as well.

I must say that Les at Walrus Systems is also a big fan of the Temper. On top of that Hi Fi news are big fans. Vinyl Asylum still rates it as the best sounding cartridge too.

I do wish to have a proper listen to a Koetsu though. The reason being that most of the people I speak to who work in the proffesion of music reproduction have a Koetsu at home to listen to.
Lohanimal, if you want to keep your EF1 (which you should!) I suggest you trade your Temper V in on a Temper W. It has 0.2mV more output than the V, which is not enough to render it less refined IMO, but enough to do the trick with your EF1 (and make sure your cartridge loading is correct, around 150 ohms +/- 75 ohms.

Call Bob Clarke at Profundo, he might be able to arrange a trade with one of his dealers:

email: info@profundo.us
phone: 510.375.8651
fax: 510.525.8942

As for the Koetsu, IMO they represent old technology pushed to the limit. People say they have great midrange. Perhaps that's because that's ALL they have. The Transfigs and Titans, and yes, the Colibris too, have great midrange plus the stuff that goes above and below it.

It's interesting to me that the people who work in the "profession" (especially many musicians) have mediocre audio systems. It may just be that they don't expect a lot from reproduced sound because they're immersed in the real thing so much of the time :~)
Nsgarch,as a follow up to your request,I spent Saturday dialing in the "V",as to your recommended specs.Yes,the sound was SIGNIFICANTLY better.I did the same to my friend's "V",with same result.Unfortunately,for me,when I went to check downforce,my guage lost battery power,so I could not make final adjustments,as I wanted to stay below 2 gms.I'm probably about1.9,but can't confirm yet.I also wanted to adjust my Graham's damping fluid to the new set-up parameters,but had do go by ear.Since my guage is the Cartridge man rechargeable model,I'll have to have the internal battery replaced(I hope,not from England,where it's made).I'm putting out a thread asking if there is a US based dealer who could change this type of battery.Can't make final adjustments 'til I know Exact parameters!Thanks for your great input.
Speedy, it sure sounds like you're getting a handle on this stuff. I'm glad this thread is turning out to be so helpful. I started it 'cause I was trying to figure out what kind of cartridge to buy, (which I did,) but then it sort of took on a life of its own. I hope everyone will continue to add experiences here so we can all learn from them.

Neil

Speedy,

I had/have a Cartridge man that I hate - it was and is a total POC. The batteries are no good in those things - they refuse to hold a charge for any length of time. And if low usability isn't bad enough, they're also expensive.

I solved my problems with the link below. Add a couple of bucks to pay for a large plastic triangle and a couple of brass screws from Home Depot to build a Wally type platform and your in business. I think this scale is also more accurate and I get repeatable measurements which I never did with the POC.

http://www.saveonscales.com/durascale.html