Top Ten Speakers of All Time?

Well its time for a new Top Ten Thread. WOW-Have I learned a lot.Thanks to all Audiogon members.Have had several e mail thanking the Top Ten Threads. We have a lot of new members just starting their High End adventure. Info was much appreciated. I will start the thread for the Acoustat 2+2 and Model 2 of which I still own and continue to enjoy. So lets have your top ten members. --- MANY THANKS ---
ferrari
I know this is an old thread but I just found it. I was a High End Audio dealer ( Audio House) during the 1980's. I sold, Rogers, IMF, Acoustats, Mordant Short, Pro Audio, Speaker Art speakers. I also sold many high end used speakers like Infinity, Quad, Klipsh etc. From being a dealer and attending many CES shows and auditioning the best available, I came to the conclusion that one develops a certain preference for a speaker sound. I love the British Monitor sound. I think Rogers did the best job in this department. I own a pair of Speaker Art speaker made in CA by a very small company. This speaker captured the British sound and has a great base to go with it. I sold a pair of Rogers speaker that were powered by two Quad amps. Can't remember the model but I think they cost $6,000. They were very good. For this list I would include the very expensive Infinities, LS3/5a, Acoustats, Speaker Art, IMF, Mordant Short. They made some great speakers those days. The Home Theater systems seems to have clouded the issue and I have not kept up with what is being offered today. Enjoy what you have. It sounds good. Terry
From the limited number of speakers I heard these most impressed me:
MBL 101 and 116
Wilson X2 alexandria
Symposium
2nd best in no particular order:
Viennna Acoustics Kiss
Verity Audio ?model around $8,000
Magico Mini
Merlin VSM:--- very hard to beat this speaker, I say that because I own them and never regret hearing the more expensive speakers knowing that I can come home to one of the best speakers out there that didn't break the bank
Well lately i had the pleasure of listening to a pair of modified Acoustat Spectra 6600, of course i have not heard every speaker out there, but at 64 years old i have listend to many, 2 channel audio as been my passion for more than 40 years, and dollar for dollar i haven't heard anything that even comes close, you can see pictures of those Acoustats in MrAcoustat member gallery on Canuck Audio Mart, the small ones are mine Acoustat 1+1s and the big ones are my friend Jocelyn they are Acoustat Spectra 6600, both where rebuilt by him with lots of T.L.C.
accetturos@qwest.net
YES!
The IMF's were so beautifully voiced...when I voiced my LSA1 and LSA2's (Standard, Signature and Statements) those are the speakers that I had in mind. Of course, the goal is 'live music', but realistically, we've all been bitten by some speaker which we fell in love with at a moment in time, which haunts us.
Bud Fried used to call me several times a month--and we'd talk about design and music--he was an amazing man.
One thing I did with the design, was to overstuff the cabinets of the Statements, with real wool--the difference it made was remarkable. That was a Bud Fried 'basic'...natural fabrics for cabinets! I remembered, and so many years later, could find nothing better to use than natural wool.

But, top ten---MBL's big boys are the best IMHO.
Followed by the LSA10's which never saw the light of day...but were fabulous nevertheless.

Larry
JBL Paragon, Altec Lansing Voice of Theatre, Bose 901's, AR 3a's, KLH 4's, Dynaco