Thorens PSU124

Good morning! I have a PSU124 power supply unit for my Thorens TD-124. I turned it on last night and it made a few odd sounds and wouldn't supply power to the turntable. Not sure what's wrong with it or if it can be repaired by me or someone who actually knows what they're doing. 

Does anyone know of someone in the US who could take a look at it and repair it?

Thanks for your help,
Paul

paulietunes

I would go straight to the wall.

My TD124 needed speed refinement during each listening session.

Turn it on, let it warm up, adjust speed by reflected dots.

Sun rises, hits that side of the house, or a few friends over, room warms up a bit, check speed, needs a speck of refinement.

Not something you could readily hear, but a speck is a speck.

IOW, how does a TD124 need or benefit from a power supply?

Thank you, Elliott.  I did pug it straight into the wall but the speed was about 1 RPM too fast.  Not sure how to adjust that without the PSU.  

The center knob on the speed selector is how you fine tune the speed. Just pull up an owners manual online and it's all explained there. Now if your saying that you've run out of adjustment before the speed is correct, do a search for td-124 eddy brake adjustment. You have to remove the main platter to get to it

exactly. the ’x’ in the center of the knob turns.

the platter has dots on its bottom edge. the mirror with a light reflects the dots, they either move a bit, or, you turn the control, slowly, wait, don’t over do it. until they stop moving. now perfect: until the temperature changes, check every once in a while, maybe a refinement is needed, but as I say, you probably cannot hear the speck of less than perfect speed.

this minor speed change will happen no matter what power supply you use, which is why I say, don’t bother with one, just plug the beauty in.

my memory, far from perfect: the eddy brake is a shield. the shield is what moves as you turn the upper knob, effecting more or less magnetics to effect another part’s movement, to slow or speed things up. no contact, quite clever.

It’s a great turntable.