Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

2nd Note

any Thiel loudspeaker in White finish is very rare.

Happy Listening!

duegi - your 2.3 serial numbers place them before the upgrade at 4567 which added a bucking magnet to the back of the midrange coax. That magnet has two principal effects: 1-greatly reduces stray magnetic fields to decrease interference with a TV, cables, etc. 2- the magnetic field is more effectively focused in the motor gap. It sounds cleaner.

Rob at Coherent Source Service could tell you if and/or how to upgrade if needed or wanted.

Historical note: The CS2.3 sported the first iteration of the passively coupled coax driver which was then applied to the PCS. A few years later it wad further advanced along with advancements to the woofer which became the drivers for the CS2.4.

jafant, I’m in Columbia MO and did a day trip down to Nashville and back.

Tom, I’ve already been in touch in Rob about the coax status and updating them. I wouldn’t mind upgrading to the 2.4 equivalent. I asked about the woofers but Rob mention they are really robust and typically not an issue.

Rob has already rebuilt the 3.6 mids and I’m ready to have the tweeters rebuilt in the near future. In the meantime I’ve picked up some extra XCs for the 3.6s and will replace and upgrade all the caps and resistors. I also plan to externalize the XCs in some older shelf speaker boxes and keep them separate from the goings on inside the CS3.6s, Winter project coming up.

duegi - you're on it.

I would not consider upgrading the 2.3 to 2.4 drivers. The crossover tunings take the cabinet particulars into consideration. Keep what you have.

Note that outboard crossovers can benefit from a different layout because the driver EMFs are no longer in consideration. Plus airflow can be utilized. If you are interested in considering my OXO cabinet and/or layout, send me a PM.

jafant,

I sold a pair of CS 2.7 but I have the exact same pair in a house in Florida.

I've deided to invest in CS 7.2 as my listening room here in NC is 35'x60'x12' ceilings so the big Thiels will work better in that space. 

Tom,

I woulkd be on board with going forward with xover upgrade. The drivers are in perfect shape as are the cabinets. I'm thinking of refinishing them in a high quality automotive paint and making them look more current. 

Currently I'm designing a Panzerholz base for it. 

You'd have tp spend a considerable amount of scratch to better these.