the perfect tonearm

I know that it doesn't exist, but I'm looking for a tonearm retailing less than $2000 that has multiple virtues- easy to setup even for a clod like myself, flexibility eg, VTA on the fly, azimuth and easy anti-skating adjustments and also with a effective mass that allows it to be used with a wide range of cartridges. Oh, and I prefer the classic looking S shaped arms if possible.

Some that are intriguing are Graham 2.2, Jelco 750, SME 3012???
mikeyc8
The 'deceptive' part is the IS in the sentence form 'x is P'(aka the subject -predicate).But we want a tonearm which satisfy many conditions and this assume a list of properties not just one. Besides 'the best' imply comparison between how many tonearms?: 3, 4, or...
What we get is actually: John thinks, believes, is convinced that,etc. that the tonearm A is better than the other he ever owned. Assuming that most of us owned, say,
3 tonearms this 'best quality' become a very hazy qualification.
Dear Ihcho: The SAEC UXL3, Victor L1000 and Audio Technica LH-18, all these weight: 18grs.

R.
Atmasphere wrote:

Tri Mai of Triplanar has nothing but complements for the Phantom, and there have been quite a few threads here on the 'gon regarding its qualities. IME it is a transformation over the 2.2!

I would call the Phantom, the logical evolution of the v2.x series - not so much a transformation, as an improved 2.2 - an arm which weaves a very similar sonic presentationto the 2.x series.

In other words, if you liked the 2.2, you will love the Phantom.

I will say that if you audition the Phantom and the Tri-Planar, and will most certainly prefer one over the other.

I can typically work with a customer and predict to a high degree of certainty which will be the case.

Both are fine tonearms, but the designers have a different vision of what an analog presentation should be, and this vision has been consistent through the evolution of both products.

Disclaimer - I know Tr-Mai (Tri-Planar) and sell his tonarms. I don't know Bob Graham very well, but have a high degree of respect for him.

Note - I don't have much time for forums these days, so any pressing questions are best directed to me via e-mail.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
The SAEC UXL3, Victor L1000 and Audio Technica LH-18, all these weight: 18grs.
Thanks.
I would eventually need an SPU cartridge to work with RMG 309, but I am trying to find a (cheaper) way to use Denon 103r which is 8.5g. With 18g headshell, I would need add another 5.5g weight to make it total 32g. I will see how it goes.