The New Synergistic Research Purple Fuses

This thread is intended for those who are actually using the new SR Purple Fuses. In my system, they are a significant improvement over the SR Orange fuses. What are your impressions? 

Frank
128x128oregonpapa

Hi Ted, thanks for your message.

I thought the point of the fuse directionality was that the current should flow in the fuse in a certain way.

I am using a Farad Super 3 LPSU which is proposing your fuses as upgrades, and on the circuit board, there is an arrow for the fuse direction. When tested, the arrow is from hot to neutral so that led me to believe this was the correct way.

So I tested as a reference point and started to listen like this. I also tried to reverse but so far it sounded better this way.

Maybe you can tell us more about directionality?

Thanks,

@steph_alex

Electricity will flow regardless. The reason to pay attention to fuse directionality is to get better sound quality. And because directionality is ultimately determined by what sounds best in the complexity of not only a single circuit, but in the complex interaction between components in the system as a whole, there really is no better way to determine what sounds best than to listen. You can of course measure, but you’ll than need to listen to confirm your measurements correlate to SQ which is subjective. For these reasons it seems straightforward to simply listen and make the call on a fuse by fuse basis.

I hope this helps,

Ted Denney III

Lead Designer/CEO Synergistic Research Inc.

@ted_denney

If this is the case why do you include information that comes with your fuse telling you the current should flow left to right as you view the fuse from the S to R? If it’s just a lottery.

I have 4 fuses in each of my pre and power amps. It’s pretty ridiculous to expect someone to try each fuse in both directions each time you fit a single fuse in terms of time consumption (fitting and testing) whilst trying to mitigate expectation basis. Particularly as the difference between a fuse one way and the other is not night and day but relatively subtle in my experience with all audio fuses I've used (AMR, SR, Black, Blue and Orange)

@clifton below is what our website actually says regarding how to place Purple fuses for best performance.

Note:  If you are switching from an Orange fuse to a Purple fuse, start by inserting the Purple fuse in the same direction as the Orange fuse being replaced.  If the Purple fuse is not an immediate improvement, flip the Purple fuse in the alternate direction.