The best Subwoofer

Starting a new thread here...Independent what is the very best subwoofer out there? This is intended to be a detailed discussion and no one's opinion should be bashed!
aggiebob98
I own a pair of Talon Peregrines and am currently researching subs as well. A great sub that I had the opportunity to listen to while auditioning the Peregrines was Talon's own sub-The Roc. Not cheap, but very powerful and precise.
A conclusion I am arriving at is that a sub must have an amp with an outstanding damping factor. This seems to be achieved only when using a brutally powerful amp, whether you go passive or powered. I think I'd like to go passive. Mainly because of the flexibility and because I could just get a Bryston 4B ST to drive it and be done with it. Outboard crossovers of high quality are not cheap however,and with the extra expense you go through to achieve this , you could have gotten yourself one hell of a pair of floor standers that do not need the addition of a sub. The answer for me is pretty simple, just go with the Roc. System synergy and all that...but for you, I think it may be more difficult. The Muse Model 18 is probably the best way for you to go. Besides, Kevin Halverson is probably giving them away along with the cards.
Best wishes and good luck. Be sure to let us all know how it works out for you.
Dunlavy! Has anybody seen their new offerings? Can we say "huge"? Their new top of the line sub towers are actually designed to be paired with the SC-VI speakers (as if these speakers did not go low enough already!)

Their top sub weighs in at 600lbs a side! ,with 4 of the same 15" woofers that are used in the SC-VI speakers.

That's 8-15" woofers total! They are rated at 95db/watt @ 1 meter.

I would not want to try to survive a full power assault of a pair of SC-VI's along with these two monster tower subs. Imagine a total of 10 high efficiency 15" bass drivers in a pulse coherent configuration capable of inflicting permanent damage to your ears, and potentially your walls and housing structure also. We are talking about serious overkill here.