The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Was probably a friend's KLH 9's driven by a Futterman OTL amp.
At one time, I owned the same equipment but they never sounded as "real" as my friend's set up. Very obviously room dimensions, speaker placement, absorbtion factors, etc. have much to do with what you hear and my experience certainly proved that to be the case.
I totally agree!!! speakers are the most important part of any audio system. I used Gradient Avanti and felt that they are one of the best speakers available in the market today.
The Harbeth monitor 30's are probably the most transparent and most balanced reference speaker that I've heard. You can't match their price-tag (considering the tuning & craftsmanship) with anything else available.

I have owned many systems and heard alot of speakers (quad,maggies,wilsons).

I have happily settled with Harbeth.

I agree with HiFisoundguy. I have a pair of the 901 series 6 and they do wonders for me. I play them for people and then I play my Dynaudios. It helps people understand. Also, the top is large enough to mix martinis on. Try that on a harbeth. Ain't happening.

I also tried them in the shower. If you are using a regular shower radio, stepping up to the 901s can make a big impact. Acoustics in there are perfect for them. Again, the ample surface area on top makes a great place for your shampoo.
This past weekend I had the privilege of listening to the finest speaker of all time. Micro dynamics, prosaic transients and sublime transparency that no other speaker can touch. The Dexter 6000R is by far the greatest man has ever produced. At $1,600,000 it's an absolute bargain. I was so blown away by the fidelity and sonic boom that I took delivery of two pair. Chim Richaldson of Dexter Audio personally set-up one of the systems in my master bathroom. The 6000R is the cure!