Tape Monitor Line-Out direct to amplifier solution

Is it possible to use the line-outs from a traditional pre-amp's tape monitor to go directly to an amplifier, then attach an inexpensive volume attenuator (like niles audio makes) between the speakers and the and the amplifier to attenuate the sound? or... will connecting the tape monitor's line-outs just overload the amp, with no chance of attenuating the volume without first connecting a pre-amp or passive volume attenuator to the line-out's signal path? I am trying to avoid having to buy a second pre-amp in order to add a zone 2 set of amp/speakers to a traditional single zone preamp.
andron
Hello Andron,

This would be a bad idea. The constant high level signal from the Tape Out would cause the amplifier to run full blast. Your attenuators, and more than likely your amp would burn up in a short time.
While i'm not familiar with the Niles unit that you mention, i don't see a problem with this at all. Only variable that i see coming into play would be the output level of the tape out being too low to drive an amplifier that lacks input sensitivity to full output. Even then, so long as you weren't looking for roof raising levels, you should be able to obtain at least reasonable spl's. I've never measured the output level on a tape output loop, so maybe someone else can help. I'm not certain if it is line level or not. Sean
>
Hello Sean,

Most Tape Outs that I have measured have about same signal strength as a main out, when running the volume control of most preamps at full.
I would be afraid that if Andron tried this he may find that the amp is running flat out, and if there was speakers, and or the attenuator hooked up at the time, bad things could happen faster than the amp could be powered down.
If you have a preamp, and a scope handy, you may want to check to confirm this.