SUT for EAR 834p?

Hi folks. Happy Wednesday.

When I was younger I owned an EAR 834p (20 years ago?). Loved it, don’t know why I sold it. So I recently bought another one.

I found a very nice 834p (with Mullards) and have been playing through my system with a Dynavector 20x2L cartridge. If I press the moving coil button on the back, it sounds fine but I need to turn the volume up to really enjoy my music.

I’ve read that inserting an SUT between the table (SL1210GR) and the EAR might be a good idea, and if I do that just use the MM input. Supposed to sound "better"?

I’d appreciate experience listeners describing to me what differences I might notice other than increased volume. SUT’s are not inexpensive and suggestions would be appreciated brands/models. Or do I just sell the Dynavector and get a high output MC? Or a high quality MM?

Btw my music is "straight" jazz and classic rock.  And lots of acoustic guitar.  And piano, cello, etc.  

Thank you and Happy 4th coming up (my birthday).

Steve Ashe

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsteveashe

In a similar price range seriously consider getting the Hana ML or Phasemation PP-200 - the last one might surprise even more. 

I ended up buying a Cinemag 1254 based SUT.  Should be here later this week, very excited!  Keeping the Dynavector for now.  

@steveashe 

Hello Steve, I am looking for a SUT and want to get a Cinemag 1254 with 4 ratio options for gain setting.
Wanted to know which one you end up buying and from whom? and how do you feel about your performance now? what settings you choose 1:20? . If you can let me know please that would be great

Thanks for your help
Best Regards,
Dibs