Surge Suppressor or Not?

I have an entry-level system (Cambridge 640 cd player, Parasound amp and pre-amp) which I can't really afford to replace if dead so am thinking about surge protection. Monster Power HTS2000 is about $200; Brick Wall PW8R15AUD is about $250. Are these good choices that wouldn't degrade sound unduly? Is there a better option?

I've been told that because amps have large transformers they don't need surge protection. Is that true?
kencalgary
In that price range, I would get the brickwall. Just remember that nothing stops a direct lightning strike, if that's what you're trying to guard against. Unplug during storms.
Thanks, all, for the excellent recommendations. I have ordered a Zero Surge unit with isolated receptacles (8R15WI) after checking out many possibilities (price/quality/performance). I would like to thank, publicly, Donna De Vico the Sales and Marketing Manager at Zero Surge for answering all my e-mail questions and then on Dec. 23rd when their company was on skeleton staff and enjoying a Christmas holiday luncheon she took my order and brought it to the Post Office. That is great service.
Bob_reynolds from 12-15-08 is incorrect in his statement. BrickWall, Torus Power, and ZeroSurge are licensees of SurgeX not the other way around. SurgeX is the only one with 21st century 3-wire zero let through technology while the other 3 licensees are only allowed to use mid-nineties 2-wire technology.
Post removed 
Yes. a surge protector is a good idea when lightning strikes. They do not affect the sound. They are easily made with a couple of varistors. Add an EMI filter and you have what most "power protectors" have for about 1/10 of the cost. There have been several articles in the electronics press about building one. A good isolation transformer with balance output is another good idea but not cheap. Plitron transformer site has an article on building one of these.