suggestion for a multi channel pre/amp please

I am looking for amp / preamp suggestions that can run multi-channels; I have existing 6 wall speakers that I need to run with my cd player. I am not too knowledgable with these things so I apologize for any silly questions. Do I need a multi channel amp and pre? do I need both, or which one can I purchase first? My budget is is the low-mid $2k range used or new. Thanks for your help.
mumum
One last thing to ask: You said 6 in walls? If so, are you willing to forgo the rear center? Most stuff is 5.1 anyway. Why buy a 6 channel system if you really want 5?

In your price range, you can find a nice used anthem, rotel or similar with a quality 5 channel amp. Also, check out www.outlawaudio.com. I don't recommend a reciever, go with seperates.
I agree with Elewick's advice to go for separates rather than a receiver (although I know of fairly discriminating stereo/HT people who like their Pioneer Elite receivers just fine), and that you might be able to find Anthem or Rotel units that you would like very well. For musicality, though, I would say the Audio Refinement units will be exceedingly difficult to beat at anywhere near their prices. Finally, let me apologize to all readers, and especially to Mr. Rubinson, for getting Kal Rubinson's name wrong in my first posting.
try a new rotel unit..i purchased one for a guest room HT set up as it has all thx, etc applications .. as things turned out, the room wasn't ready so i put in in my main system's room which is also our dining room. it has been used in 2 channel mode exclusively and i am stunned at how complete the unit is..no coloration, etc. i did buy a power cord from Signal for about $65 and it helped tighten up things. sorbothane feet, also..i listened to everthing in the $ 1500 range and neither the denon, nad, or sony beats this player. plus, it is very easy to use. after breaking in it sounded even better....i think the 70wpc integrated is about 1350-1500..test one. and put the balance in yor bank or towards music. ideally, you could find a demo model, broken in and at a significant savings...
Thanks for your feedbacks. Please keep them comming if possible ( the more ideas the better ).