suggestion for a multi channel pre/amp please

I am looking for amp / preamp suggestions that can run multi-channels; I have existing 6 wall speakers that I need to run with my cd player. I am not too knowledgable with these things so I apologize for any silly questions. Do I need a multi channel amp and pre? do I need both, or which one can I purchase first? My budget is is the low-mid $2k range used or new. Thanks for your help.
mumum
Mumum,

I think you first need to decide what your needs are. Are you looking for a combined HT and music system or something for music only? Are you are a critical and/or avid music listener? What are your expecations of the sound quality you are seeking? I don't know what in-wall speakers you have, but they may limit the potential of any source. Is that okay?

If a music only system, I would probably explore a used preamp/amp (2channel), integrated or receiver (w/ a analog bypass) along with a pair of used speakers.

If you are looking for combined HT use, I would probably go the receiver route. While I think you can find some bargains, $2,000 for both a HT preamp & amp will limit your choices & may not be money well spent. A nice receiver would be below your budget & permit some speaker upgrades if warranted.

This answer may not help much. I think you need to provide some more information as to what you are looking for.
Consider the Audio Refinement Pre-5 (5.1-channel pre-amp, for two front/main, one center, and two rear channels + subwoofer) and Audio Refinement Multi-5 (5-channel power amp, 125 wpc). Used units from Audiogon would get close to your budget. Audio Refinement is YBA's "budget" line, and these pieces produce really excellent sound for either stereo or multi-channel/home theater listening. With a good "universal" player (able to play CD and DVD-audio & -video), you'd be in business, without needing to get a separate processor. A bunch of manufacturers (Denon, Pioneer, Pioneer Elite, Esoteric, etc., etc.) make such players. (The Exemplar Audio-modified Denon 2900 is totally amazing, but at alomst $1000 for the Denon + $2500 for the modifications, is probably more than you'd want to spend.) Note that with the Multi-5 amp you would need a powered subwoofer or a separate amp, which would receive signal from the 6th (".1") channel of the Pre-5 pre-amp. Look for reviews of the Audio Refinement Pre-5 in Stereophile (Kal Rubinstein) a couple months ago and UHF Magazine last year (?), and believe what they say! And the brand's power amps have the same standard of excellence, in my experience. You would be thrilled with the sound (depending, of course, on the quality of your loudspeakers).
Macct,

I am looking for a combined HT and music system. I am a avid music listener and sound is very important!! I would prefer higher quality sound even though the in wall units will limit their potential (I later plan to move it to the basement, when it is built, with proper/higher quality speakers). It will be used for music/HT 50% each. I am willing (actually being allowed by my wife!!) to spend up to $3k at most.

I am not concerned with the speakers at the moment as I will save for it later, once the basement is completed. Thanks.