Suggested speakers to take the place of Dunlavy

Hi,

Much as I hate to do this, it is time to give up on the dream of getting into some Dunlavy speakers. I've tried buyi8ng a couple pairs now, and the shippers have wrecked both. I have decided that I need to get a speaker from a manufacturer that's still in business.

I am looking for something with a similar sound to the dunlavy line--my big interests for a speaker are as follows--very detailed above all else, but with good tonal balance. I like a very quick bass and smooth highs. The best speaker I ever heard to my taiste was the Dunlavy SC-V driven with a Pass labs x350. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Roland
Ag insider logo xs@2xrnbowers
I also liked the Dunlavy V, and owned Dunlavy Alethas for a while but sold them in favor of Genesis V, obviously a different technology and sound, especially in the space and air departments. If you're interested I gave my comparative impressions at AudioAsylum a couple years back:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=speakers&n=23256&highlight=aletha&r=&session=

Later sold the Genesis for Talon Khorus. The Khorus are different sounding than either, but meet, I think, your objectives of tight, tuneful, extended bass coupled with a smooth treble. Good detail is also there, but never in-your-face. Generally warmer and less dry than the Dunlavys, and easier with placement requirements.

Just another suggestion. Ultimately you'll have to listen for yourself.
I am looking to buy two SC1AV for my rears.Prefer light oak will consider black.

Art Haaker 864-836-2732
You might want to try VMPS speakers.I own a pair,and enjoy listening to them.VMPS has expanded their speaker line quite a bit now,and are utilizing a number of Ribbon drivers .They have re-issued a model Tower II,Special Edition,Anniversary Edition with quite a bit of upgrades for a price less than 2k purchased and shipped directly from VMPS.You could go to their website at www.vmpsaudio.com to look at this and other models,or even call the factory in California and speak to Brian the owner.
I have replaced my much modifed Dunlavy SC4's in my main system recently with the new Caravelle speakers and dedicated Sistrum stands..These are remarkable speakers in everyway..The Dunlavys are for sale..I am a Caravelle dealer..Tom
You could try the Duntechs, John Dunlavy's former company. I just don't know if they will ship to the USA or if they have a dealer here. But at least they are still in business should you blow a driver, or whatever.

You might also like the Meadowlark Audio line, rather similar in execution to the Dunlavy. I have owned products from both manufacturers, and I was highly impressed. I really never should have got rid of a product from either company. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies in this hobby. We keep looking for better when we already have a great set up.