Subwoofer slam vs boom

Generally speaking what causes a subwoofer to be boomy, verses crisp and "slammy"?

Does placement and room acoustics greatly affect this, or is this just a common problem with lower end subs?

Currently I am using 2 HSU VTF-3's with opposite front corner placement, with all speakers set to large. The processor supports stereo subs, kinda a moot point with all large speakers thou. The subs should be doing the least amount of work possible, i.e. I am not rolling over 7 channels into one sub.

Thanks all
Marty
marty9876
I think the room I am working in is screwing things up, alot. Next I guess I will rotate the whole mess 90 degress. See what happens.

Wrong state of mind, given. I do not use subs for music either, just with HT I want a system to grab me by the balls and wip me aroung the room. It's not that is sounds bad, I just don't know what it could sound like. I want the 2x4 whacking feeling.

I need help...:)

Thanks
Marty
BOOM can be caused by room acousic problems. I have Khorns with isolated reinforced corner walls made from two inch thick very dense fiberboard. When you hit it with your closed hand, it creates a solid sounding THUD, not a BOOM.
As a result of the solid corners, the bass from these Khorns is the most realistic, undistorted bass that I have ever heard. The walls are made with two layers of drywall using insulation, sound channels, ASC isowall damp pads. The bass in the room creates a compression that crushes your chest, but once again with no BOOM. On the other hand, I resently auditioned REL subwoofers in a Tweeter soundroom. It was the worst sounding subwoofer demonstration imaginable. Not only was the subwoofer BOOMY, but everything in the room vibrated. The salesman then asked me if these are not the most musically sounding subwoofers that I ever heard. I smiled and walked out the door. Maybe REL are the most musically sounding subwoofers, but I guess I will never know. Tweeter obviously needs professional help with room acoustics.
Marty... I run two subs as well, although I probablydidn't do it the right way and just daisy chained them. I got it to sound ok, though. Before you rotate your whole room, which takes forever and might not do the trick, try just putting your subs along the walls. I mean, rotate the subs 90 degrees in the room, but leave the rest of the stuff where it is. It might help. I have one close to a corner and the other halfway down the wall. Sounds good and slams and booms at appropriate times only. Otherwise you could just mail me the HSU-2 and I'll keep it.... haha. good luck