Steve Morse pays tribute to Jeff beck

stuartk

@rettrussell 

I see. I had an instructional cassette by him way back in the early 80's, so teaching was clearly something that appealed to him. What an opportunity!  

Glad you all enjoyed the video. I came across it after watching Rick Beato's interview with Steve. If you want to watch the interview, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jxp9k72M1c

I am almost 73, and one of my first music crushes was the Yardbirds with Jeff Beck.  Having A Rave-Up was my first album purchase.  Jeff’s melodic ear added a dimension to his blues chops that his contemporaries Clapton, Page, Green, and Taylor didn’t have.  Listen to New York City Blues…completely unique phrasing, yet completely within the blues idiom.  Beck brought the aggressive blues edge to his fusion playing, too.  This brings me to the Steve Morse tribute performance stuartk posted…I had never heard Steve Morse!  I just streamed a Dixie Dregs album to find out what I had missed. The posted track is magnificent, equaling the feel and sound of JB’ version and impressively expanding on it…with finger vibrato and string bending instead of the whammy bar Beck used.  The only element JB brought that Morse misses is the occasional outburst of blues aggression.  Maybe it’s the compression or lower volume, but when Beck wants to let the anger out, you know it, and in Morse’s hands it seems muted.  But I am delighted to have been introduced to a master player.  

@crustycoot 

The only element JB brought that Morse misses is the occasional outburst of blues aggression.  Maybe it’s the compression or lower volume, but when Beck wants to let the anger out, you know it, and in Morse’s hands it seems muted.  But I am delighted to have been introduced to a master player.  

I see what you mean. Perhaps it has to do with Beck's age at the time Blow By Blow was recorded relative to Morse's age when he covered the tune.

Wonderful.  Thanks!

I enjoyed the Dreggs several times in Chapel Hill mid 70s.  Didn’t realize what a legend at the time.