SPL: Reference level performance, German build quality, and innovative designs

My review just went up on the Stereo Times website on a full loom of SPL (Sound Performance Lab) of the Elector line-stage, s800 single chassis amplifier, and M1000 mono-block amplifiers. This 30 year old German company is mainly known for their professional gear made for recording studios. They started designing and building gear for the audiophile market five years ago. The preamplifiers/amplifiers are raved about by European audiophiles and have received superlative reviews in many German based reviewing mags.

The build quality is what you would expect from a German company and they have developed a technology called VOLTAIR 120V which is incorporated in all their electronics. Of course, the most important factor is performance and all these pieces are "killer" regarding the beautiful music they create. Then, add on that for an imported German piece of gear that's reference level, the asking retail prices here in the US is amazing. For all the details take a look at the review. 
teajay

The SPL Elector preamp has given me killer performance.  Extreme clarity, great spatiality, and tubelike tonal colors.  This is one helluva preamp and, at the asking price for a little over two grand, it's a borderline steal of the new millennium. Highly recommended.

Post removed 

@jaymark how do you like using the remote control? I've found that motorized volume controls often give very imprecise changes.  I'm looking for something that can give me a reliable 1db (maybe 1.5db) change, without jumping up or down by 2-3 db or worse.

Hey dishhifi,

I have had the reverse experience, love the Apple remote in that I can go up exactly 1db notch very easily to get to the exact sound level I'm seeking.

Thought this might help some people in that I am about to let an SPL Elector pre (new, so still breaking in) go head to head no holds barred with a gently used, soon-to-arrive LTA Microzotl Level 2 using my Mac Mc152 amp.
Having had the SPL here for a week or so I can absolutely confirm it’s fantastical-ness (and the fantastical-ness of the people at The Music Room and Mario my salesman whom is super knowledgeable and friendly for letting me demo these preamps- albeit not before I paid for both of them in full! He’s not THAT friendly. HA!). There’s also a great YouTube video on the SPL from them by a guy named Duncan which is what swayed me to try it (plus the redoubtable Terry’s glowing rhetoric of course).

Yes, the SPL Elector is no joke- it’s detailed, dynamic, fast and dead silent electrically with lots of inputs and the innate ability to learn to use most any IR remote you like. I like that with said (individualized) IR remote, you can jump up or down in volume in small enough amounts for my needs. Quibbles? I wish you could turn off the friggin’ meter lamps like I can on the Mac (bit much in a darkened room with a scotch- tryin’ to set a musical mood here!) and I wouldn’t exactly say it’s built to the standards of my KTE May Dac or my Meitner MA3 or for that matter, my Mac amp. It’s maybe a bit thin as regards the metal casing etc. and the finish doesn’t exactly scream Jeff Rowland competitor. But then, it’s not 5 to 10 grand either.
But as a functional preamp? It is sonically a bit special. To my ear, more special than some I’ve had here recently- a Pass XP12, Topping pre90, the very highest end tubed Mac pre and a Schiit Freya S (which I actually loved - lots more than I thought I would! Almost kept that amazingly fun little guy!). Never heard the Coda pre/gear.
The SPL is preliminarily maybe a touch warm (?). Maybe?? Though that could be the Mc152 amp. Or my mood going in to summer. It’s early going. Some bright/annoying recordings are suitably bright/annoying so it does have me doubting myself on and off. But tonally, spatially and in terms of pace and electrical quietude it really seems a marvel at the price! It’s capable of gorgeous string tone and arresting transients for sure. Terrific accurate/taught bass. Beautiful texture on Yo-Yo Ma’s cello on his recent recording of Beethoven cello sonatas with Emanuel Ax.

The Music Room is apparently now a legit dealer for SPL so you can demo this gear (hallelujah! It’s like the UK finally:) and they also have open box SPL from time to time as well. Hence I took the plunge- they make it easy.

So if any are interested, will try and report back with some preliminary findings after the LTA is in the house later this week/this weekend. I’ll go balanced into the LTA and single ended out (of necessity as no balanced outs I think) SPL is balanced in and out.

Actually, I like the SPL pre so much at this point I almost thought about trying their amp! The stereo one not the monos- don’t need all that power. Ah but I just got the Mac (yes from The Music Room but pre-Mario so not from him) and really like how quietly it goes about it’s business and how effortlessly powerful/pure it is. And how you can turn off the friggin’ meters! Hint hint!

Maybe one day after the pre is nailed down I’ll try their amp too… Anyway will try and report back about the pre comparison.