Spectron amplifier - new black faceplate?

Hi,

Spectron Audio web site states that they have new black faceplates and I wonder if someone has Spectron amp with this look? I am considering to get their monoblocks.

It seems (from their web site) that they are on the rise - hiring new people, getting new reviews, even new Remote Sense cables... interesting

Thanks
Mike
michael_moskowich
Michael,

All I would say audition it at home B\4 u buy.

It all depends on the type of music u like.
I audition one at the dealers, liked it, bought one and it gave me listening fatigue setup in my system. I could not listen to my system for more than an hour. I ended up with a Cary 500 for half the price of a Spectron and really enjoying it.

The opinion of others is not as important as yours.

TRY B\4 U BUY, simple as that.
Hello Ajackson,

I totally agree with you. If you can try the amp IN YOUR SYSTEM then you must do it. I am not sure how easy it can be done with speakers but with amp - ABSOLUTELY!

The problem, as I see it - when you try to buy used amp or whatever - seller rarely gives you opportunity to return the component if you don;t like it. Right now - there are three Spectron "demos" here at Audiogon and these dealers better will give their amp for trial.

Still, let me share my observation that Spectron appears better and better when you move to more and more difficult load. I have B&W802N and I tried many, many amps and Spectron was the best - may be because my speakers are extremely difficult to drive (correctly that is).

How you said? "TRY B\4 U BUY" - I like it !

All The Best
Rafael
I live in Sydney, Australia. I was a friend of John Dunlavy and visited him several times in Colorado. On my last visit before his death we were using Spectron amplifiers and he said "These are the best I have ever used". If they were good enough for John Dunlavy they are good enough for me.

The new Spectron monos are marvellous, wonderfully musical, great rhythm and played through my Dunlavy sigmas (in his range they are between SCivA's and SCv's) they make a great sound. I also have a set of Aletha loud speakers from Dunlavy. They are powered by one amplifier - Musician III and the signal comes through my Sonos system. It also makes great music.

John Dunlavy and John Ulrick were great admirers of each other and it shows in the quality of their products which I am using. It is like having the Sydney Opera House in your lounge room.
To each his own. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
It did not work for men.
Hello,

When one buys expensive component and after installation into his system does not like the resulting sound its great disappointment.

There are only two explanation to it: either component is bad or there is system mismatch.

Well, with bad component you can do very little and have to get rid of it. However, before you do so I urge everybody to examine your system first. Sometimes, older component (which you wanted to remove) creates euphonic coloration which overshadow some deficiencies in the rest of your system and new component can be more neutral, have more resolving power and will simply reveal the truth.

For example, overly dark preamplifier will cover bright CD Player and then you buy new neutral and resolving preamplifier you may discover that your SYSTEM's sound became bright and you blame this "innocent" preamplifier.

My point is very simple - when you get components which is generally recognized e.g. has "Best Sound at CES" , few prestigious awards etc and you don;t like it - call your dealer who must be the system matching expert (or the manufacturer)and discuss your specific situation. It is possible that one small and relatively inexpensive cable or vibration control device will makes huge difference in the RIGHT direction.

While, I am happy with my own system - I heard rumors that very new fuse design will improve certain aspects of my system behavior and I ordered a few to test.

Thank you
Simon