Speakers with bass response?

I have a decent speaker system, BW N804's but they seem a little bass shy at times, so I tried adding a sub, to see the difference. First; the BW asw500, real muddy at any volume, it's really designed for small HT, next was the BW asw1000, plenty of kick but no clarity or real "musicality", then I went up to their asw 2000, well, it occassionally added some musical low frequency, but muddy, and it seems to clip and pop at any volume. I wonder if I need different speakers to really get that bass I'm looking for, or will a good sub do it, or is it something else in my system?
Components: Classe CA300 amp, Classe cp50 pre-amp, pro-silway xlr interconnects, BW N.804's and the weak link: Technics CD.
joeb
joeb
thanks to all who offered advice. Of all the options, the best tweak, and best use of funds, is to get a good cd player. these speakers really are quite remarkeable in their price range, and I don't know of many speakers that can get that good of bass without jumping up quite a bit in price. Although there has been some good comparisons offered. These BW 804's offer execptional imaging, clarity
and depth of highs and midrange, and even good bass response, depending on the recording. but there is a bit of a trade off in "depth" and sound stage in the bass department. but again, this is a very subjective business.
thanks,
joeb
Hey Joeb,
I think Sugerbrie and 2001impala have the right idea. I've heard the N804 w/the Rel Storm III and they are made for each other. The Rel sub blends seamlessly and once you free the N804's from the responsibility of reproducing the LF signal, they will sound much better overall. I came very close to purchasing this combo myself but a friend turned me on to the Revel Performa series and I fell in love. But since you already have the N804's, buy the Rel,(used for about $1200-$1300 on the 'gon) and enjoy the sound. Oh, don't forget to upgrade that CD player. That will make a huge difference as well. Good luck w/your decision.....John
I noticed a great improvement in low end quality when I replaced my 8 year old cdp.
Joeb:

Great system you have there. The electronics you have are very good, as are the interconnects.

One question though.......... Are you running your B&W Nautilus 804's full range, or are/were you planning to cut them off at a certain frequency and then letting a sub take over???

Because if you are doing that, then I would guess that if you are set on using a sub, then I think that something like an REL Strata III (at least) should do the job. If you are on the other hand, thinking about replacing the speakers themselves......... then the only speakers that I can think of that has the bass response that you want, that also doesn't cost a mint would be one of the Vandersteen models (if you had a system like mine (KEF Reference 102/Adcom GFA-545 Mk II/Adcom GFP-750/MITerminator 2/MITerminator 3), then I would say the starting point would be one of the "2" models (either the 2ce or the 2ce Signatures). But since you seem to have higher-end electronics than I do, then I think you should start with one of the "3" models at least, working up to the "5" if necessary). Try that first to see if that gives you the improvement you are looking for.

But also, I would also think that a CD Player upgrade is in order. The "LEAST" expensive CD Player I would consider would be an Arcam CD72. Either try that first, or a Rega Planet and see if that would gives you the improvement you are looking for. If either of these players improves the bass response that you are getting from you B&W Nautilus 804's, then you may have solved the problem then. If not, then I would go ahead and address the speakers at that point.

Good Luck........

--Charles--
Chas...well, you are the second person to ask if I am runing the speakers "full range", and now I must reveal some inexperience here. As far as I know, I am, I am wired thus: cd to pre, pre to amp, amp to speaker. My sub, is connected to a "reg. out" on the pre-amp. So, maybe you could explain the difference between "full range" and ?
joeb