Speakers with bass response?

I have a decent speaker system, BW N804's but they seem a little bass shy at times, so I tried adding a sub, to see the difference. First; the BW asw500, real muddy at any volume, it's really designed for small HT, next was the BW asw1000, plenty of kick but no clarity or real "musicality", then I went up to their asw 2000, well, it occassionally added some musical low frequency, but muddy, and it seems to clip and pop at any volume. I wonder if I need different speakers to really get that bass I'm looking for, or will a good sub do it, or is it something else in my system?
Components: Classe CA300 amp, Classe cp50 pre-amp, pro-silway xlr interconnects, BW N.804's and the weak link: Technics CD.
joeb
joeb
Not inexpensive, but the Vandersteen 5s are bass champs, and the bass is highly tunable. The 5s have built in subs that are near flat to 22 HZ-- they are powered by built in 400 WPC amps. Many also like the Vand. 3A/3Asig with subs also.

It seems to me you just need a good sub (or two) that integrates well in your system and room. A friend has a pair of REL IIIs that he really swears by. Good Luck. Craig
Try taking a look at the thread below. Scott did a very nice job of compiling info for those that have never seen that specific magazine. It has a TON of info in it about subs.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1007327923&read&keyw&zzsubwoofer

As to the weak link in your system, i would definitely say it was your Technics player. However, i would think that it would be more limiting in terms of upper mid and high frequencies than i would the bass department. Sean
>
You can also try to use a good speaker cables, which would give you a deeper controled bass, and try to get another CD player, but if you are looking for sub which is also musical you should try Sonus Faber Gravis, it's a very nice sub.
I'm not a real big fan of subwoofers, even though they are a relatively inexpensive way to add very deep bass. And I sell what I think is one of the more musical subs out there, especially in its price range - the Hsu's. But I think the best solution is to get a pair of main speakers that does what you want. Good main speakers will be better integrated and (imho) more enjoyable long-term than a satellite/sub system.

I'm not real sure what your top priorities are in improving the bass. Do you most want deeper, louder, better pitch definition, or all three? (Of course you want all three, but unless you are ready to part with big bucks, best to prioritize). And, if you're going to be changing speakers, what do you want to keep about your B&W's, and what would you like to improve on? And, perhaps most important, what particular loudspeaker colorations or inadequacies are you most unwilling to live with?

My taste in speakers runs towards relatively "boxless" sounding speakers, perhaps a touch on the warm side, then in the bass I don't mind trading off some loudness and extension in favor of pitch definition. I really like to be able to easily differentiate all the notes the bass player is playing. And did you know that there's as much difference between cello and double bass as between cello and violin? Yet on many speakers we aren't entirely sure whether we're hearing a cello or a double bass! And to really win me over, when called for drums have to be rendered as a sharp WHACK rather than a fat BOOM, even if the BOOM shakes the room more.

I think that for roughly the cost of your 804's plus a good sub, you can wind up with a pair of full-range speakers that will do the job.

However, I suggest you at least try another CD player (or DAC) first, as that may do more to resolve your problem than you would expect.

Best of luck to you in your quest!
Are you running the b&ws full range? If you dont get the blend from main to sub right it can cause boom or ill defined bass even from a good sub. If you are not using the high pass for the mains you may have to set the low pass lower than you might think. Also, phase is important. That said, I am thinking of upgrading my sub and the right path is not easy to figure out. Im considering everything from a compact (relatively) folded horn to a pair of moderately compact sealed cabinet subs. Good luck.