Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
I know that I'm late into this post but I have to concur with LoveMan. The Beveridge 2 SWs are an almost miraculous speaker and if you haven't heard them you really owe it to yourself to do so. Quad 57s with tubes and Rogers LS35as with tubes if you're looking for a nearfield solution (you have good taste Jim). The new Lipinskis are mighty, mighty good. To this day the most realistic impression of a live event I have ever heard (save my experience with the Beveridge) were through Frieds C/3-L with SM/3 Subwoofers and updated drivers. I'm talking about the uncanny illusion of being transported to the original event. Amazing! I did hear the Thiels once and got the impression of absolute nutrality, probably accuracy but it didn't exite me. I also have to add that I did have a pair of AR 10pi and to this day wish I had never let them go. Oh well.
I bought a pair of Von Schweikert VR7 SE's, and received them right before last New Years Eve. I'm finish. The speakers won't move until I sell the house (they are 370 pounds each). That won't be for another ten years or so. I love them. On a separate note I also purchased a new darTZeel NHB-108 and NHB-18NS. I plan to keep this amp and preamp combo until death do us part.
Not sure about for life, but I tend to hang onto gear rather than selling it. So I still have my KLH-5's from 1968. That's a lifetime for many! My Vandersteen 3's date from 1992. My Magneplanar 1.6's I've had since 2000. There have been others in and out, but these are long-term relationships, and I appreciate them all. Doesn't mean I think any of them are great, but they each have a point of view on the music that I appreciate.

My main focus these days has been on the Magneplanars. I've actively bi-amped them with tube amps, added Mye stands, directly connected the drivers to my tube amp outputs with super-short wires... modded to the hilt and every step has brought new insights. Fun stuff, this hobby.

I've got an Eico HF81 that's in search of the right speakers. Oh, I've had it since 1971 (as a gift from my uncle, who bought it factory wired in 1959-60). Guess I'll post it as a question to the forum.

this thread has made me want to listen to more speakers! I admire the passion particularly of the Apogess owners (gotta check out the new North Creek ribbon: George Short used to be a designer at Apogee). I really need to hear some Green Mountain Audio stuff. And the JMR Offrande which i know I can't afford. Good stuff!