Speakers to beat wife-factor ?

I'm looking to replace my Klipsch Forte's with something more refined, but wife-factor requires placement very near rear brick wall, in a 12x14 room (England). Child-factor requires floor-standers -- boxes on stands wouldn't survive. Would like a Maggie-flavored sound, but is there anything that can deliver with its back to the wall and its feet on the ground? I want to keep the solid bass I have now with the Forte's, but want to improve the rest of the sound. Is my quest impossible?
mr_spock
I have a similar problem with my martin logan quest z's (for which a minimum of three feet from the wall is recommended. I placed ASC studio traps (www.tubetrap.com) behind each with good results. However, the speakers are still about two feet away from the wall. You might be able to get the Maggies closer than that. Good luck!
The Gradient Revolutions are supposed to sound great next to a wall - I have not heard them, though. I would avoid having to move speakers all the time, if I were you. To me, the NHT 2.9s sounded like crap the one time I heard them (at hi-fi '98). I don't like Meridian speakers either, but some people do - and they have built in equalizers so that you can ajust them for wall placement.
I'm with Sksnyder - maybe there is a way you can use the Maggies. I've gotten decent results with 1.2's one to one and a half feet out from front wall and as close as possible to side walls, tweeter to the inside. Toe them in. More. More still. If the sound is too bright you may find a way to put some Sonex discreetly behind the panels, perhaps on a small frame. If you want, you can remove the iron "feet" on the 1.2's and bend them a little so that the panels lean back a bit more. This makes them more physicially stable and kidproof, and gives tall standing adults a better chance at hearing the highs. Imperfectly set up Maggie 1.2's or 1.6's are still going to sound better than any comparably priced box speaker, or my name isn't Captain IMHO.
Get rid of your wife.Music is more important.And children can be tought to stay away from adult things.Give it a try,it'll work.
The new (Canadian) PSB Alpha speakers can be used quite near a wall, are magnetically shielded for video placement, and perform remarkably well for their low price. They don't go very low, but their lows are clean and they mate well well with any number of subwoofers. Your situation seems to cry out for a subwoofer, and there are some very effective small ones (e.g, the new 9" Sunfire cube, PSB's match for the Alphas) Their mids and highs should be at least the equal of your old Klipsch Fortes (although not similar to the Maggies). I'm familiar with all three brands--my neighbor has Forte's, several friends have had various Maggies (and I've tried them in my listening room), and I use the PSB's in my home theater (with a small JBL powered woofer). You'd be taking a chance with the Maggies--they're very fussy about placement, need to be away from the wall, and benefit from a good subwoofer, too. I haven't heard the Gradient Revolutions, but they're definitely high-end audio and are designed for wall placement. You might also consider good quality in-wall speakers such as the B&W's.