Speakers Like Merlin VSM?

I once owned a pair of VSM-M's and regretably sold them. At the time I owned them I spent a good amount on my system and although it wasn't perfect I was never let down by these speakers. Actually they are the best I have heard to date. I once heard my Merlins hooked up to a Berning ZH-270 and it knocked me out.

I'm not real sure I could amass a system like that again but I was wondering..... Who's the new Merlin? I may just have to save up and go for it.

The Merlins with the BAM are just awesome especially if your into vinyl. If any of you live in Texas or nearby there and want to sell your Merlins please send me an e-mail.
avivey
I read one thread were an audiophile was reviewing some world class studio speakers at the manufacturer. The audiophile claimed that there was no bass and that something had been wired up incorrectly out of phase. The audiophile even argued vehemently with the manufacturer...insisting something was wrong.

The unfortunate reality is that heavy resonant bass (with all that harmonic distortion) is cheaper to manufacture and sells better than lean accurate bass. Sadly it has become so widespread in the speaker industry that many listeners have actually come to regard this as "normal correct sound".
aktchi,
i owe you nor anyone else an explanation!
personal taunts and foul language?
what are you reading?
and i have expressed no personal opinions on anything audio but a few people's behavior and chioce of words.
you have repeatedly twisted the statements i have made and you and bombay have called me names which is truly sad and only damages your standing.
a buffoon (a clown) you certainly are! you were the one who used the word baffoon. there is a difference you know.
the only thought i would like to impose on people is that it is nice to be kind and fair and if you don't get that, there is no helping you.
twist away!
bobby
There are differences between a statement that is an opinion, to one that is supposed to be taken as fact, Bombaywalla has had this dance before with exactly the same results.
I think the last time he called the ZH-270 junk, now it's great for debugging a speaker!

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone not liking the Berning ZH-270, it's not an amp for every "SYSTEM" or everyone's perception.

However the Berning is accurate without the coloration of output transformers, it's capable of matching speaker impedances (sophisticated patented RF impedance device), therefore remains accurate on varying loads, which are all speakers, it is true auto bias, taking a electrical picture every 1/60th of a second, it has brownout protection, short protection, DC sensing protection, spike protection, unmatched efficiency, 15-20 year tube life, cool running, light weight, high resale value and unparallel reliability, this is the complete package that is unbeatable by any other tube amplifier ever made.

All this ends up being is a extremely transparent product that does not hide nor colors anything and this is why the amp is used by so many manufacturers.

FYI, you can still get the ZH-270 without any upgrades exactly like the older model.

Bobby, I would like to thank you for doing the right thing, that is what gentlemen do.

Allan
Berning Co.
ok...since we have both parties here...Bobby & Allan...and I assume that you guys are gonna be checking back on this thread.

oh...BTW...I'm not even part of the above fight...

however...with regards to Merlin...I dig the looks...hear pretty much only good things about them...and with regards to Berning...I have a friend who's opinion I highly trust...a real tube guru who has the MicroZotl (that is one of yours right?) that I believe he has hooked up in his restored VW westfalia.

anyhow...I know that people say that you guys are easily accessible by phone but I can also appreciate that you are busy.

So...in a nutshell...I'm a 2 channel HT/stereo in one kind of guy...my system needs updating as I'm back to the Bryston Integrated and in a different house. Although some of the music that I listen to I'm sure would sound good through the pairing...some I am not so sure of. Such as something that hits rather hard and has "tweaked" electronic/synth etc. (Beastie Boys, Nine Inch Nails, Beck etc)...not to mention movie soundtracks.

Would this combination give me the "zing" factor that is actually part of the recordings and not just the SS brightness or am I just being wishful here thinking that this would be an option in the future?

Hope my question doesn't confuse you.

Thanks

Ellery
"Who is going to decide what is black, white, has substance or lacks it, if not everyone for themselves? OTOH you seem to know just what is what and whoever sees it differently is a baffoon? (To those who have rushed to talk about your graciousness, I can only suggest that a little explanation is called for.)"

Very unfortunate Aktchi, you are continuing the argument without acknowledging the offensive comment. It seems your true intent has been confirmed. I thought you were initially trying to be fair minded but it really seems you are just intent on further provocation for whatever reasons you may have. I suggested you give Bobby a call and you MIGHT come to a different conclusion but no, it seems you want to keep the barrage going calling into question AGAIN, his motivations and graciousness. I'm really disappointed in you!

Thanks Sburton for adding the insight. It offers much value for those that would be interested after all.