speaker suggestions for modest arcam alpha system

hi, I have very recently changed my system with a used arcam alpha 7se cd player and alpha 9 integrated amp...these two pieces and a pair of paradigm monitor 7v2s are my whole main system....i am considering changing my speakers (although i am not unhappy with them, just want to use them with my old amp (NAD T751) in a seperate home theatre setup) and i was wondering if any of the low-end-mid-fi gurus out there could suggest a good match for this modest setup.

the listening/living room is 8'Hx12'Wx16'L. my listening position is about 3.5' from back wall and about 9.5' from speakers which are along the 12' dimension of room (only way to make room work).

I love the look of floorstanding speakers but probably don't need them in my listening enivronment.

I mainly listen to modern rock, acoustic rock, vintage blues and some electronica...periodically i listen to vivalldi's 4 seasons, which is the only piece of classical music that i own

my price point is $600 to $800 (incl. stands if bookshelf variety) and prefer used gear (my cd player and amp costed $650 total after shipping, used)

any suggestions would be great, thanks, Mark
m_laken
The first speakers that come to mind would be Thiel CS.5's. Granted, you may want to add a nice subwoofer later on, but I love the accuracy and imaging of these little Thiels. With a good sub, they can compete with setups costing much more. If you bought new, I would think that NHT would be strong in that price range. Some other used contenders might include Meadowlark Swifts, the smaller Totem floorstanders, or maybe even ProAc (which would pair up well with your Arcam).

Tom.
thanks Tom,

i kinda like the idea of stereo being just two speakers (less money, less wires, less knobs, less floorspace)... which puts bookshelf speakers at a serious disavantage (plus the cost of stands) but i will start my research on them all!

i have seen a couple other recomendations for the ProAc speaker saying they are a good setup with Arcam...are they affiliated to each other or simply both british companies?

also seen references to arcam sounding well matched to B&W and mission speakers (i think both british companies?)

also, being satisfied with paradigm, the monitor 7v3 is not out of the question...but would like to try a different company's offerings..thanks Mark
Don't forget Tannoy. Scottish company. I love my Mx series with my Arcam DV-89.
Paradigm makes some great speakers in its price range. So does PSB. But I was trying to throw out some suggestions in a slightly different direction. I happen to be putting together an Arcam/ProAc setup, myself. After falling in love with the ProAc Tablette Reference 8's, I ordered a pair of the Signature series. Shortly thereafter, that same dealer had someone trade in an Arcam FMJ A22, so I snagged it, although I have yet to pick up either unit. So, while I, too, have read that they match up well, I have not heard them togehter yet. I am currently trolling for a CD player to match.

Tom.