Speaker ohm's?????

Hello All I am new to this hobbie and I have a question I hope someone can help with. If a speakers says Nominal impedance is 6 ohm's can I use them with an amp that is a 8 ohm???? will this work ? will I damage the speaker or amp?? please help with this. Thanks.
Mark
harnellt
Hello All
Thanks for allyour help one person asked me to update the trend so what I have right is I'm trying to set up a second system I have a pair of sonus faber concerto that I got from my brother real cheap. and on the speakers it says 6 ohm's I don't have a amp yet but I would like it to be ss amp but not spend alot of money because it is for a bedroom set up. any suggestions would be great Thanks
I've heard the Concertos driven by a 100w/ch Yamaha integrated, and they sounded fine--in a somewhat larger room than you've got, probably. I imagine you could get away with 60w in a bedroom. Best to try things you can take back if they don't work.
I agree with Bomarc's comment's above. The nominal impedance rating is not regulated by the Bureaucrats in D.C. and is little more than a marketing tool. It is much more useful to consider the low DCR point to determine the affective load on a solid state amplifier. The swing of the impedance curve is almost completely insignificant when using a solid state amplifier.

When considering a tube amp the swing of the impedance curve becomes more significant. Sean's remarks above are quite accurate. He expressed this issue much better than I could. The nominal impedance was important when speakers were built with something that actually resembled a nominal load. Speaker builders generally don't pay much attention to the tube guys because they represent a very small part of the market. Hence the impededance swings on a typical speaker are huge. This will directly affect the response curve when a tube amp is used. This seems to be more significant with the SET variety and less significant with the Push-Pull variety. I believe it has something to to with the dampening factor.

Dave