source disappointment

I have built a system that I would guess is fairly revealing(in my limited experience), and have begun experimentation with the CD Source.

Signal Cable Analog 2
Cary SLP 88 pre
Zcable Live V3
Cary 2A3 se monoblocks
Elco Sti-2b Silver Bi-wire (used as single for soliloquys)
Soliloquy 2A3 monitors

Sennheiser HD590

I recently purchased a used Audio Note CD 2 to replace the use of my Panasonic XP50 DVD/DVD-A, player which I assumed was not much of a source, though it does have a remastering upsample feature.

In several extended listening sessions using various albums I have been unable to detect any sonic improvement offered by the Audio Note which I purchased because of their reputation for analog sound. I actually A/B'd a getz/gilberto cd I had two copies of, syncing both players up and using my Headphones, and I believe I prefered the Panasonic. During intermmitent audience applause on the disc, the Panasonic rendered a warmer and much wider soundstage.

Is this crazy?
wheeler
Post removed 
I used a Panasonic XP50 for a while and thought that its sonic performance was excellent. (And it is pretty). My only gripe was that it doesn't do SACD's. You must remember that D/A technology has advanced greatly in the last few years, largely as a result of the huge market generated by DVDs. Even an inexpensive DVD benefits from this, (the chip manufacturers will sell to anyone) and the XP50 may well outperform the best players of only a few years ago.
I have listened to Audio Note setup before in one of the hifi show. The same feeling as yours: very revealing to a degree of disapointment.

You may need to avoid Silver or Silver coated cable. If still can not resolve, change your CD player.

Zhang Xi from Singapore