SoundSmith cartridges how good?

And how do they compare to others. Forget about cost just thoughts on sonics? Obviously if matched with correct tonearm.
rsf507
If I go anywhere from The Voice it could be to a strain gauge set up but for those people thinking about it it is important to listen to it first especially if you do not have access to digital EQ. The strain gauge does not completely follow the RIAA curve. It comes across a little on the bright side according to what I have read. As my daughter lives in NYC on a trip down there I plan on stopping by Sound Smith to have a listen. Peter relates they keep one on display perpetually. My first experience with a strain gauge (Wyn Labs) did not end well which makes me a little nervous about doing it again. I also really like the sound of my ARC phone stage. Maybe another turntable is the answer:-)
@mijostyn,

Great suggestions. Also, what you described about the SG not following the RIAA curve is perhaps why there are other comments reflecting what you stated about the SG having somewhat of a bright sound. Conversely, I believe that it may not be bright, but the sonic artifacts of its topology, appear to many to be output as somewhat of a solid state sound. This may in turn, equate to some form of brightness to some. I cannot make an emphatic statement concerning my hypothesis until I am able to hear the SG in my own system, and then ascertain personally, whether or not that the SG sounds solid state or is perceived as bright. However, the comments out in the field do seem to coalesce into a generalized sense of different type of sound for sure.

For traditional tube aficionados, listening to the SG is a stark contrast in the way that they are used to hearing music. Could it be, that this artifact, the SG topology, which appears to sound solid state to a few listeners and owners, that is being translated into the bright comments? Not sure, but I do now know, sometimes different is good or bad, YMMV.
I couldn't resist and bought this cartridge as a backup for my Zephyr MK III for when I need to send it in for re-tipping. Thanks for the heads up bkeske.

To anyone interested, and it’s even tempting for me. Just saw this posted; an old SoundSmith VPI, or, predecessor to the Zephyr. Really good deal IMO.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649718051-soundsmith-vpi-cartridge/ 
 Report this
@rickd1235

I couldn’t resist and bought this cartridge as a backup for my Zephyr MK III for when I need to send it in for re-tipping. Thanks for the heads up bkeske.

Good for you! Yes, a great back-up when your Zephyr needs re-tipped. Wish that would have been availiable when I bought the Goldring for the same purpose 👍🏼

Not sure if you asked him how many hours the actual stylus has (he stated approx. hours on the cart itself, and was unclear whether that was before or after he sent it to SoundSmith to be checked out) but even sending it in to be retipped would be a great deal for the overall investment. For about $575 (total) you will have a practically new 1st generation Zephyr. Not bad.
Please see my review of the SG elsewhere in this forum.
The SG is NOT bright once past about 25- 50 hours. Indeed, it is extremely "neutral" and extremely revealing, articulate, dynamic, and honest. ( The last attribute is a "killer" for poorly recorded LPs! ) The tonal characteristics of instruments is very accurate provided your system per se does not add "color".  
Also, don't forget that the stylus/cantilever are user replaceable without even the need to take the cart off the tonearm or realign!  A simple 5 minute process for a fraction of the cost of other brands.
The included "phono amp" eliminates the need for a traditional phono amp and saves thousands easily offsetting a large part of the cost of the SG. If you have a specific question, please contact me.