Sound Proof???

Hello All,

The neighbors are starting to complain. I have neighbors above & below me in an apartment complex.

Is there away to absorb or reflect sound?

june
6month
Thanks for the responses.

I'll try to reduce the bass for now. I'm using Paradigm's studio 100's & a 12' sub. I'll also introduce myself to the neighbors and let them know the system will be used until 11pm Mon-Fri.

Slappy, you are hilarious!!!!!!

june
you may still get complaints no matter the time...I think your pretty much SOL...this should be a warning to all Agon members who are looking to move into a condo from a house...You'd better make sure you're either in a steel & concrete Hi-Rise or a building built in the early 20th century...definitely not one of the new wood framed POS low rise apartments & condos that are being slung up nationwide.

I'd be bummed if I didn't live in the house, I have the tunes going until 3 or 4 in the morning quite frequently...sounds best then anyways!

Good luck with the neighbors...do I have any advice...probably none that is worth a damn...but I think Slapppy is on to something...hmmmm.

Ellery
I agree with Barry Kohan's response that decoupling the speakers from the floor is the best way to deal with this problem (mechanical sound transmission). Like Barry I am a professional in this field (I work in Pro A/V system design & installation for the Hollywood studios, networks, etc.). Barry's company Bright Star Audio makes some great products for decoupling speakers and other equipment. A source for sound deadening room treatment materials is Super Soundproofing (www.soundproofing.org). If you can do it, a 1/4" mass-loaded vinyl floor will really reduce the neighbor complaints as it is really good at absorbing the low frequencies (one company calls their mass-load vinyl Dynamat). Other good flooring materials are cork and rubber (again see Super Soundproofing for a excelent cork & rubber sub-floor product). Another great benefit of room treatments is they greatly improve the quality of the sound you hear. Concentrate on the low frequencies - the foam panels that are sold by a number of companies are great for tuning a room for the mid-upper frequencies, but they really do nothing for absorbing the low frequencies and this is what the complaints are about. (FYI -- I am in no way asssociated with Bright Star Audio or Super Soundproofing).
The closer you move to the speakers, the less volume that you will need to enjoy the sound. This will also satisfy your neighbors. Sitting five feet from your speakers is a bit unconventional, but it's a good compromise.
6month:
How loud do you listen?
If bass is your problem maybe for the time being you should do some reverse engineering using some accoustics, try to evaluate if your listening position is in a node or a null if you're seating in a place where room produces less audible bass you will naturally try to compensate increasing volume or your sub setting. You might need to compromise between bass amount/quality and lessening problems with neighbors. Find where bass response is hihger than current position and try to position your chair or move speakers sub in order to get the best possible response at your listening position with less volume so you might decrease neighbors annoyance. What do you think?
Luis