Sound Lab Millennium 1 spl ability?

Hello I don't have a local dealer so can someone answer my question please? Is the Sound Lab Millennium 1 able to play Pink Floyd at 105 decibles C weighted spl in a 20x23 room if driven with 450 signature vtl amplifiers? I previously used Dunlavy 5 speakers and the quality and quantity of the bass was addictive I don't want to lose any bass, I'm used to feeling the air movement the 5 provides in the bass the punch the quickness the definition they have.
mejames
There are a number of factors in determining this answer. I use the Ultimate One Soundlab and get at least 100 DB listening levels at 12 feet using a 225 watt tube amp (Wolcotts).

My room is about 19 X 33 feet with a ceiling that vaults to 12 feet. Filling my space may be more difficult than yours. With these facts in mind, my instincts say you will be able to produce what you want with the M1.

You must consider that bass from a Soundlab is not the same as with a cone driver. The Soundlab is much more phase accurate, lower distortion and actually images in the same way the midrange and highs do. This makes for a more realistic and enjoyable presentation. The thing Soundlabs do not do is slam. Slam to me describes the ultra push you get with multiple large dynamic driver systems. The very thing that makes the large speakers fun also reduces their transparency and imaging ability.

The short answer is there is no perfect way to produce sound. Soundlabs will do many things better than you have ever experineced, they do not sound like Dunlavy nor does either of these sound like a big horn system.

I would not object to speaking on the phone with you if I can help.
Greetings Mejames,

The Sound Lab M-1 is capable of 105 dB at the listening position, but this is pushing the speakers very hard. And according to a customer of mine, the VTL 450 won't do it. This customer tried the 450's alongside the Wolcotts that Albert Porter is talking about, and said the Wolcotts were a much better match with the Sound Labs, so that's what he bought. Disclaimer - I'm a Wolcott dealer (also a Sound Lab dealer).

The Sound Labs are more a finesse speaker than a high-volume speaker. With the Sound Labs, you can hear more going on at 75 dB than you can at 105 dB on most speakers. I actually enjoy them quite a bit late at night at between 50 and 60 dB.

I can suggest a few amps that can deliver the sound pressure levels you're looking for, if you'd like. Also, I'd be happy to take a shot at any questions you might have.

Best wishes,

Duke
Hi

I do not think you can get anywhere near the sound levels you expect, I just sold my M1s as I got fed up with playing string quartets and could never get any sound level with any good rock or large orchestra.
The volume concept is different with the soundlabs, they sound great but at a compromise. I drove them with the Wolcotts, rgards
Although I have been able to reach 100 dB or so with my Sound Lab U-1s, this is much louder than I normally listen - even some well recorded rock records that almost demand that you turn up the volume can be very satisfying (and subjectively, quite loud) at 90-95 dB. Pink Floyd DSOTM and others such as Steely Dan Aja don't leave much to the imagination - lots of punch and drive. With the right amps, they have plenty of dynamics and all the bass you could want, well defined and accurate in pitch. The bass is of a different quality - not as much in your face as speakers with moving coil drivers, yet they move a lot of air - it kind of envelops you. Never a problem getting good playback levels, in my experience. More importantly, the speakers convey a large amount of musical and subtle information even at low levels.

I had the opportunity to audition a pair of Manley NeoClassic 250's some months ago. They didn't drive the Sound Labs all that well, though (yet in all fairness they are very nice amplifiers, and this was before the speaker backplate update which smooths the impedance curve and makes them a bit easier to drive).

Disclaimer: I'm a Sound Lab dealer (in the Chicago area). Feel free to ask more questions.

Brian Walsh
Essential Audio
Nadimgargour, it is unfortunate that 100 plus DB at 12 feet is inadequate for your needs. My system delivers that consistently with Wolcotts and I have a fairly large space.

The problem with Soundlab is that they seem to produce no volume due to ultra low distortion. I had a listener here a few weeks ago that kept insisting I "turn up the volume." The music he was listening to was a selection on CD that he brought with him, so this material was very familiar to him.

After the third time I raised volume and he ask again, I told him we were listening well over 90 DB and was louder than we would hear this vocalist in a live venue (un- amplified). He insisted that we were NOWHERE near 90 DB. I went for my analog Radio Shack meter and it read just over 102 DB. The measurement was beside his head, nearly 13 feet from my Soundlab U-1.

Low distortion and accurate phase make the sound so effortless that it appears to be low volume. I remember an old audio advertisement from the 1970's, "When they say turn down the volume, they mean turn down the distortion."

It's true in reverse as well.