Solid state amplifier $2K Used or New

System B&W Nautilus 805
Audio Electronics AE-1 Preamp
Meridian 506.20 Cd Player
Synergistic Research Cabling

Looking at possiby Krell KSA50S, Krell KSA100S, Ayre V-3, BAT VK200, McCormack DNA 125, NAD S200
Any other suggestions?
stowne1
I've owned 3 Classe amps over the years, Classe 10, Classe CA-100, Classe CA-200. The 200 was the best and can be found for $1500 +/- depending on age and condition. For the price, its a lot of amp for the money. Personally, I didn't like Bryston but many people do. Listened to a friend's Krell and thought it not to be very musical, accurate perhaps but didn't do it for me.
Noone has mentioned it yet, so I'll throw in the Musical Fidelity A3cr. I know one can't go just on reviews, but it is Stereophile Recommended "Class A" and sells for $1500. I believe that upscale Audio is selling them with a moneyback guaranty (like AAs policy) since they are hard to find in nearby stores. I think the price is due to go up, but it should still be well under 2K. I just bought one, but have not yet received it. I already have the A3cr preamp which is phenomenal.
The Classe' CA-100, when run in bridged mode (so you'll need a pair), is a totally different amp than its' acceptable but unremarkable performance as a stereo amp. Given that you can pick these up at $700 each used, you might be amazed as I was. I owned one CA-100 and called my dealer to order a Levinson 331 (several years ago) and he talked me into buying another CA-100 - said if I didn't think the pair run as monoblocks was better than the 331 he'd give me all I'd paid for the 2 CA-100s towards the ML.

I am a ML fan (own their digital seperates). There was no comparison on sonics, let alone value.

2 CA-100's (or 150's, assuming you can find 2) are a great amp for <$2k. Unless you're driving speakers that go down to an ohm or two (big Thiels etc) which probably won't work well with bridged amps.