SME 20/2 Tonearm Ground Wire: Where in the table should be connected?

Dear Community,

I just purchased my first turntable, an SME 20/2 with the SME IV VI tonearm. For the cartridge I went with the AMG Teatro cartridge (I couldn't digest the idea of buying a more expensive one, at least not yet). Since I don't know much about this turntable and I couldn't find (neither online and/ or user manuals) information or instructions about where the tonearm ground wire connector should be plugged in the in table end: Please if any one of you remember where the SME 20/2 IV VI tonearm ground wire should be plugged in on the table end? I'm referring to the OEM cable which come with the table: There is a DIN connector and the ground wire one. For the DIN is very straight forward because there is a plug-in for it; but for the ground wire: I couldn't find the right place. Please any instructions, suggestions, pictures and recommendations will be much appreciated.  

Best,

T.

mememagno

Hi @boothroyd 

Above you wrote:
The second ground spade in the phono cable loom is simply to engage the shielding - it’s the two wires exiting the RCA rears joined together. I typically prefer this connection left hanging (not attached) unless noise is evident.
As I have the same equipment, I have just disconnected "the two wires exiting the RCA rears joined together" from the Phonostage grounding port and I think there is a slight improvement in sound.
I have 2 questions if you don't mind sharing:
Do u have and explanation on why not 'engaging the shielding' improves sound?
Should I further break the join between these 2 ground wires from the L & R RCAs?
Thanks
Vusi

@vusi_khumalo 

Do u have and explanation on why not 'engaging the shielding' improves sound?

While I don’t care to discuss in absolute terms for fear of being attacked, unshielded signal leads can often provide a larger playback image that seems more open. Such results are worthless if RF or other noise creeps in - easily remedied when the shields are attached to ground.

Should I further break the join between these 2 ground wires from the L & R RCAs?

I see no benefit from disabling or attempting an asymmetrical shielding scheme.