SLOT LOADING CD MECHANISMS - DO THE DAMAGE CD'S?

Of recent, I have been considering the purchase of a new CD transport (no DAC). There are several that have caught my attention; - - one in particular is made by AUDIOLAB. The one factor that leaves me "hanging", conceptually speaking, is the fact that AUDIOLAB exclusively uses "slot loading" CD mechanisms.
I have owned a couple of good quality CD players employing this type mechanism, and in both cases, eventually discovered marring to the playing surface of the CD. I am fanatic about proper preservation of CD playing surfaces. I certainly don’t want more CD’s ending up in the garbage can. (and I don’t like polishing, making a bad situation, worse !)

In turn, I have read many articles and customer reports complaining of the same issue. I consider AUDIOLAB products to be of a quality and performance level that leaves me somewhat dumbfounded as to why they would employ the use of a questionable mechanism that has so many historic issues.
So, what have they done that would be any different than other companies using this concept? I can’t imagine that they would invest the R&D money to develop their own proprietary mechanism.
Anyone out there that can validify the credibility (or lack of) AUDIOLAB’S use of "slot loading ?. Direct experience would help the most.
128x128axpert

I found out whats the problem. Its not that slot mechanism is making scratches...entrance is very narrow, so if CD is tilted a bit down when going in, the lower part of the entrance scratches it...im thinking to add some thin tape on lower part of the entrance or I’ll just have to be more careful (tilt cd a bit upwards when inserting). Hope I helped...enjoy your 6000cdt :))

@sfxjura 

The Audiolab 6000CDT has a nice felt type surround at the loading slot. So, unless you really try to put a CD in poorly aligned with the slot itself, no protective tape or similar should be needed.

I’ve had mine for a while, and although it was a concern for me, not really any longer. Just be careful, and if you remember to do so, take a micro fiber cloth to the CD and wipe it before inserting.

Hi, 

I see in one of your replies that you mention Denafrips DAC and Im just about to buy one, that is..I’m thinking if I should buy Bifrost 2 or Denafrips Ares 2...still reading reviews etc. but leaning towards Denafrips. I have Audiolab 6000A and Klipsch rp 600M, I also plan to upgrade speakers in the future. Can you please tell me more about Denafrips, which one do you have etc. This is my first system so I’m still exploring.

Thank you :)

@sfxjura 

I have Aries II, and think it’s great for the money. Very detailed and clean to my ears. Some call it ‘analog like’. Maybe, but not like my TT and LP’s. Nice soundstage and imaging. It replaced a PS Audio Digital Link 3. I like it better than the PS Audio, still a very good DAC for its age, which is now in my bedroom system. 

Schiit makes nice stuff too, but I’ll tell you, right now, you can easily sell the Denafrips for what you paid on the used market. They not only hold their value, but at times, increase in value.

Just something to think about if you want to try something else in the future.

@bkeske

Thank you,

What Amp do you have? Is Denafrips Ares 2 going to be much better than the DAC in 6000A? I might give it a try...EU dealer told me I even have 14 days trial period.

I mainly plan to listen CD’s through 6000cdt.