Skylan speakers stands-how much sand?

I searched the forums but did not find any specific information.

I received a pair of Skylan 26" single post speaker stands yesterday. Noel suggested loading the stands with play sand, about 15 lbs. per speaker. I filled them with sand today, tamping on the top of the stands to pack the sand down.

I listened to my system yesterday, prior to adding the sand, and again today, after adding the sand. The highs seem to be muted and the speakers seem less open after filling the stands with sand.

Is it my imagination? The speakers are Spendor S3/5's.
oneinthepipe
Hi Oneinthepipe
I own a pair of Skylan 24D, which is their 2 pillar 24inch stands. I havent noticed any muting of highs after I filled the pillars with sand. In fact the bass tightened and the highs are very smooth. My speakers are Green Mountain Audio Callistos. In my case I filled the two pillars of each stand unequally to prevent any similar frequency resonance.
Is your base plate exactly measured for your Spendors? Too big or too small, esp too small, can affect the sound though mostly the low frequenices
Best
JB
Great stands! Great guy to deal with too....I have the 4 Post 20" And filled them 75% full...The do a excellent job at tightening the bass and creating a firm platform for you speakers...Noel also carrries some rubber pads that work very well for the speaker/platform transition..Also could consider using the Herbies Big fat Dots on them too...I did a rehab of an old Pair of KLH 6 and Skylan 4 posters and they look and sound fantastic.......Feel free to e-mail for more info if you feel the need to..
I have 18" Skylans for my Harbeth Super HL5s. I used clay-based kitty litter after talking to Noel about it, basically loaded the stands up to the top. My experience is similar to JB's: the bass is very tightly reined in, w/ no boominess, and the treble gained in definition and transparency. I don't think I'd go any less w/ speaker stands, now that I've had the Skylans.
Thank you for the replies.

The tops are cut the exact dimensions of the Spendors.

The bass is good, but I can't tell about the high end. I really packed the sand in. Maybe that makes a difference, but I don't think it should.

The stands are very well made and very nice looking. Who would have thought that PVC pipe could look so good?
You might find that if you use something like blu-tak to help make a solid connection between the speaker and stand will help you to get better sound from your speakers. Some speakers come with custom stands designed have you actually screw the stands to the speakers to get that solid connection. I am thinking of Dynaudio and KEF Reference with their dedicated stands. Blu-tak will get very close to the same level of connection without marring or damaging the speaker.