Share thoughts on Keith Jarrett

Last night, I saw Keith Jarrett performing solo at the Symphony Center. Tremendously emotional concert with four encores. Now, this is why I'm posting: The person who I was supposed to attend the concert with, informed me, on Tuesday night, that she couldn't go. "No problem", I thought: "Who wouldn't jump at the chance to see Keith Jarrett live", a performer who I consider to be right up there with the likes of Davis, Monk, and Coltrane, all jazz elite and all household names. It took me two full days to find someone who even heard of this guy. I'll continue to hold him in place of high esteem regardless of the comments I get here, but I'm curious: Am I incorrect to place him so highly, or are their others who find his relative anonymity amazing?
128x128phaelon
Masabumi's "After Hours" album is a bit less expirimental than "First Meeting", and devoid of moaning (there is some on "First Meeting"). On second thought I would get After Hours first.

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/2438445/a/After+Hours.htm

My three favorite Brahem albums are "Barzakh", "Conte de l'incroyable amour" and "The Astounding eyes of Ria". The latter has been discussed extensively in an ECM thread on the music forum, probably because it was stereophile recording of the month.
I think the connection from Jarrett to Kikuchi is a fecund one, especially as they both record (sometimes) with Gary Peacock and Paul Motian (what a bass/drums genius duo there!).

Kikuchi does sometimes moan and whine, in the tradition. Jarrett didn't start the fire there.

But some of Kikuchi's trio records with Peacock and Motian--as Tethered Moon-- are really off-the-chain lovely. Their cd inspired by Edith Piaf CHANSONS DE PIAF (1999, winter & winter cd) is extraordinarily gorgeous.

Kikuchi's distinctive habit as a pianist in trio setting is playing ballads REALLY slowly, with broad knotty chording, horn-like single-finger melodies, and with wildly over-the-top (dramatic, quietly histrionic perhaps) hesitations. The vocalizing syncs with the crescendos and the tension. It's not unappealing, if an acquired taste.

Also check out PLAYS KURT WEILL, by Tethered Moon (Kikuchi, Peacock, Motian). (1995, Polydor cd).

Kikuchi sometimes records with Paul Motian as leader as well.

I'm especially impressed by PAUL MOTIAN ON BROADWAY, v. 5 (with Kikuchi). And PAUL MOTIAN TRIO 2000 + One (with Kikuchi; Winter & Winter).

I saw the trio once or twice at the Village Vanguard and it was exceptional. Very dramatic music. Extremely dark and romantic. Kikuchi's semi-minimalism allows Paul Motian to sweep in with his inimitable way of filling big spaces with nearly arhythmic commentaries of pure loveliness.

Ok, I'm a fan.
Hi people, im looking for the text included in changeless álbum and written by Jarrett. If any one knows a website or how i could get it i appreciate it. Thanks..
Big KJ fan here moaning  and all. Thank You,  for adding another layer of players via Kikuchi Piaf and Brahem.  I can report that I have not heard of these Pianists prior to reading the above comments.  I am always looking to add quality musicians, especially piano trio(s), to my ever growing collection.Happy Listening!
I had forgotten about his Classical discs from the 1980's. Such a wide, deep catalog from KJ.Happy Listening!