Serious Question About Silver vs Copper Conductivity for Power

Yes, I realize that this topic is going to bring out the sharks, but if I get at least one serious response, it will all be worth it.

I understand that silver conducts 7% faster than copper.  I also understand that using a dielectric insulation like Teflon is best at keeping the wire from overheating, stopping signals entering and stopping signals from leaving the conductor. I understand that a certain amount of math is involved in selected gauge of wire depending largely on how much power the component is going to take, and how much the amperage is (20 or 15).

My question is regarding certain features applied to either silver or copper conductors that may or may not have an advantage over one or the other.

I have the Kimber Kable P14 Palladian.  This uses 14awg copper conductors insulated in Teflon.  Then it adds a massive filter that attempts to mitigate the standing wave ratio to as close to 1:1 as possible. I had Kimber’s Ascent power cable prior.  It’s identical to the Palladian, except the filter. I have heard the difference between using those two cables.  Apparently, mitigating the standing wave ratio lowers the noise floor significantly. However, any filter that chokes the signal and will slow the electrical current.

As I understand it, the amplifier works by opening the rectifier to allow the capacitors to fill with energy that the system will draw from.  Being able to keep the rectifier open and fill the capacitors as fast as possible, reducing lag time, has the effect of creating more realistic and detailed sound.

With that said, changing to a power cable that uses pure silver insulated in Teflon, will ensure that power is delivered potentially faster.  Although, the silver power cable will NOT have a filter.  Therefore the standing wave ratio will not be mitigated and the electrical signal will not be choked either.

So, would the amplifier benefit from faster electrical current or slower, but cleaner electric current?  Since this signal isn’t directly applied to sound, the concepts of “colder” or “warmer” sound should not apply.

Can someone help me out without poking fun at the question?  Additionally, I am not interested in having a cable-theory debate.  If you don’t believe cables make any difference, I will not debate or have discourse on that topic.

128x128guakus

@theaudiomaniac, thank you for corecting my incorrect statements, and sorry to all for stating incorrect things! That was of course not my intention. It's been many years since I studied these things.

I've found an interesting article about the skin effect: https://www.belden.com/blogs/broadcast/understanding-skin-effect-and-frequency/

I was surprised to read that an electron travels that quickly through a wire.

Well, all in all it shows that even a thread with such an OP can have a positive effect.

dear OP - i look forward to how it goes.  i swear by very expensive silver litz cable for power.  it makes a huge difference.  a good one :-)

stage 3 concepts who make cables and sell them and have a nice business also think so.  their famous kraken for example is based on silver and litz (amongst other things for dampening etc).  fred crowther makes a review of AudioNote M10 as well as S9 (SUT) and in part 2 of that he talks about AN's litz silver power cable (Sootto) versus the Kraken.  Fred is a reviewer and a person who has owned the best of the best. 

audioquest also think silver and litz is a good idea for their highest end cable (dragon cables). albeit silver plated i think

as i hear it litz silver reduces noise substantially.  this means more gain as @realworldaudio pointed out from his own silver litz power cable.  with less noise i hear more, especially alot of bass.  but i can hear all sorts of stuff i couldn't before.  plus the speakers disappear more and frankly everything just sounds pretty great.

my only issue is how expensive it is which is why i am fascinated to see how you get on.  

the very best to you

Cable received.

The cable was connected to the system with absolutely no troubles.  The system powered on with no issues. I turned the volume to extremely loud levels. No sparks, no fires, no shorts, no blown fuse. I touched the cable and the plugs.  Cold to the touch.  The mathematical equations and speculations being used to propose that the cable wouldn’t support the system or that it was unsafe did not accurately predict the result.

However, there is a correction that might help explain why. I spoke with Lavricables about the design and it turns out the spec on my cable is different to what is listed on their website. This was a custom design after all. The cable’s source end is C7 (figure 8) so they did not include a ground wire. Therefore, the 20 cores were split into 10 x 10 and not 7x7x6.  10 hot and 10 neutral. This is closer to their Grand Line.  Therefore, the overall gauge has changed. Perhaps this is why things didn’t explode. ;)

Within the first couple of minutes of use, the sound was more centered and those sounds were more forward in the sound space. The just-left and just-right of center was very close to the center instead of wider apart. The treble at high volumes does sound a bit tinny.

After over an hour, the micro dynamics are becoming far clearer than ever before. Using an example, Dave Brubeck Take Five album, track “Strange Meadow Lark.” At 2:06, just before the drum symbols and horn are about to kick in, you can hear the drummer about to set up and the horn player pick up the instrument and shift in his seat.  I could barely make out those details before, now they’re so loud and clear you cannot not hear it. At present the soundstage image is literally a triangle. With left and right being very rigid and the center sharply forward. 

After one day, the tinniness of the highs have settled down.  The sound stage has expanded to the far sides and is developing the desired envelope.  It has already exceeded many of the capabilities and performance of the previous copper cable. Distant cymbals in songs are no longer truncated.  The peel is longer and cascades more realistically.

On the third day (approximately 48 total hours) the sound is very detailed and bright yet seems to be missing some richness, such as some mid-bass.  For example, the hollow thud of a kick bass drum before the actual resulting bass note. This will change over time, as this has been my experience from Lavricables before.  Certain qualities fade in and out until it finally settles down and the sound signature finally reveals itself. As a side note, one of the downsides to all this detail is that you can now hear the analog hiss in older recordings.  

Fourth day, 77th hour. The missing mid-bass is returning. The sound stage has expanded further, creating the desired envelope.  The localization of instruments is very precise. The only thing missing at this point, is the level of realism in the vocals that the previous cable had.

Fifth day, 96th hour. The sound quality has now surpassed the previous cable. The realism to the vocals has returned. At this point, the sound signature has been revealed. There will be a few more increases over the next 40-50 hours, but they will be small, incremental increases mostly in sound stage expansion and richness to the sound, especially in the mid-bass and mid-range.

CONCLUSION:

My OP question was:

Does a power cable with 20 separate 28awg solid silver conductors, each insulated in Teflon and woven into a hyper-litz configuration have a performance difference from a power cable using three 14awg copper wire bundles insulated in Teflon in a simple twist, but with a filter.

Answer:  Yes. The largest difference is increased clarity of micro-dynamic details and louder representation of those micro-dynamic details.

NOTE: Keep in mind that this is the result on *MY* particular system. Experience may vary.