Senior Audiophiles - Audiophile since the 60-70's?

How many Senior (true) Audiophiles do we have here since the 70's or prior?

What was your favorite decade and why?

What are your thoughts of the current state of Audio?

Would you trade your current system for a past system?
brianmgrarcom
Me too Brianmgrarcom. The only audiophiles I knew in those days were locals who I ran into at dealers and later one dealer who I became good friends with. I can remember his going to CES and anxiously awaiting to hear what he heard. I also remember discovering Stereophile and growing old awaiting new issues.

I also remember somewhat later when I got strongly into racing Hobies. Saleboat racing is very time consuming and meant that my speakers would often go weeks without being on. Often my young children would request that I turn them on at bedtime and play them loud.
I think really Senior Audiophiles got started in the 50s, as I did. Heathkits, Knight kits, Eico kits and DIY projects from electronics magazines got the hobby started for my generation. With the advent of transistors, the kit building hobby took a dive, and the high end products of the early 60s were McIntosh and Marantz, not really affordable gear for the rest of us! There is so much cool stuff today for audiophiles of every persuasion and budget that I think this is really the golden age of audio, although much of the stuff from the 50s still sounds great! (But tubes expiring and hum were no fun then.) The big question to me is did the CD help or hurt the hobby; and what about MP3?
I think audio is a lot like cars. I used to tune cars by listening to them or driving them. Now the chip needs to be read by the computer. Not as much fun but clearly better.

It is still a fun hobby and now you meet interesting people even across the world thanks to the internet.
hi my favorite decade was the 60's. there were many great panel speakers available at that time. the tube amps and preamps were wonderful.

there were no audiophile accessories as we think of them today.

the sound of a good system was much better than what passes for so-called high quality audio systems.

a lot of todays expensive systems are headache generators.