Scanspeak 10" driver replacement - blown woofer

Hi, I have to replace 2 10" drivers on a pair of Vandersteen 3a's. The drivers are 25w aluminum cone, and the voice coils are fried. Vandersteen will rebuild for 289 each.

Question: Is there a comparable replacement on the market that would be cheaper then the rebuild, and close in performance? I found a company, Madisound speaker components, which sells many 10" drivers from 37.00 - 355.00

I have hooked the speakers back up and have found the bass to be insane with the big 10" hole in the back, apparently in the design the 10" drivers act as acoustic couplers, part passive radiator and part driver. I placed a large book over the holes and the bass is instantly tighter, but not as deep as they used to be.

How important is the quality of these acoustic couplers?
Would a SEAS presitige aluminum woofer be as good at 165.00?
Would I hear the difference?

I know it's impossible for you guys to answer all these questions, I am just trying to paint a picture of where my head is at. Have any of you had to replace your woofers with aftermarket products? What brand did you choose? and how did it work out?

Thanks again,
Mike
hanaleimike
The companies I'm referring to test every driver for consistancy/tolerances, plus match the drivers for use as pairs. BTW: What you just posted as Bud's actions concerning the source and quality of his drivers confirms what I said of, "most higher end speaker manufacturers"(ie: "He couldn't just let it go") KUDOS to Fried!!
Two pairs of high-end audio loudspeakers I own (one fairly ubiquitous and highly respected, the other less well-knowned, but growing) were blessed with tolerances that not at all tight. I can easily identify the differences in the one pair, which I still have, simply through playing them.

By the way, I applaud you for maintaining this standard, but a lot of our hobby is more of a cottage industry with the good and bad that goes along with that.

But, yes, KUDOS to Fried!! They'll never be another like Bud.
Get the T/S parameters for the original drivers from Vandersteen, then find replacements from Madisound that most closely match the original.
Vandersteen will charge 289 per, and Bill Legall charges 65.00 per.
The rubber surrounds are fine and the speaker looks perfect from the outside. I would hate to have Bill replace the voice coils to save a few bucks, then get them back and figure out the aluminum cones are warped
Hmmm, in light of this new info, I thoroughly recommend you go for the B-L solution. It is most unlikely he will miss a warped cone -- or anything else for that matter. It's really not rocket science (more of an "artistic" craft).
Thank you for all your responses and info, I have decided to send them to Bill tomorrow.