SACD Players

Hello,

New member here. I am looking to add an SACD player in order to play the DSD layer of SACD directly. Based on my research I have shortlisted PS Audio Direct Stream Memory player and McIntosh MCT500.

Option 1) I currently own McIntosh MA5300 which means I can use MCT500 with supplied DIN cable connected to MA5300’s DA1

Option 2) Purchase PS Audio Direct Stream Memory player and DirectStream DAC MK1 (Both discontinued)

From what I understand the memory buffering and Air Lens would make the media sound better. Whereas, I haven’t found many reviews on MCT500.

Both options would roughly cost the same. I am looking for the better sound. Which option is better? Any advice or insights would help.

Thank you,

SA

rlsammie

Japan is the home of SACD production and listening today. As a result they have the most quality players available. Marantz is a quality brand with high quality players from $3K to $12K. Available on the used market as well

@wturkey 

Hi.. I received MCT500 yesterday and I spent some time listening to my old CD's and newly acquired SACDs and all I can cay is that I am beyond impressed. Even the old CDS sound so much better than FLAC and Streaming. The integration between the MCT500 and MA5300 was as simple as it gets with the DIN cable. I am super happy with my purchase and I can truly say that I have never heard my CDs sound this good. 

I also wanted to reiterate one point here. There are so many great CD/SACD players in the market, however my use case was simply sending the raw DSD layer from SACD to my Amp and not PCM (to get the best possible sound). PS Audio SACD transport and a PS Audio DAC via I2S connection or McIntosh SACD transport and McIntosh DAC via MCT/DIN connection are the only way to accomplish this.

I was able to accomplish this with the least amount of $ spent since I already own a McIntosh MA5300 with DA1 module. Oh, and the MCT500 I purchased was preowned and it looks virtually new.