Running DCS Vivladi DIRECT?

Hey Folks,

Anybody out there who cares to comment on running the Vivaldi DAC direct  to the Power amp.

Please compare with running through your favorite preamp and elucidate the differences.

Thanks & keep enjoying our hobby!

Ag insider logo xs@2xsthekepat
While I have nothing to observe regarding the transparency of the digital volume control in then Vivaldi I can observe that the line driver circuit in the Vivaldi is not as good as it could be. Having compared single ended and balanced outputs using identical cabling I found the single ended to be substantially more transparent.

I run my Vivaldi into an ARC Ref 40 and this is a great combination, the RF then drives 10M of balanced cable to my amps - something the Vivaldi would not be comfortable with at all

I also found marked differences between the output level settings with .6V sounding much better than 2V, this may however be a function of interaction with the preferred range on my preamps volume control

Very interesting. I saw you mention
the single ended vs balanced difference before. Running into my Soulution 700, I do see transparency is better running directly. The Preamps I use are the best I have tested so far (MFA Magnetic Reference Silver edition). Of course I only run 2 meters of balanced cable from the DAC.

Were the input impedance of the amps very low in your case?

Regards & Thanks.

The Ref 40 input impedance is 60k SE, 120k balanced. The Vivaldi spec recommends 10k-100k ohm