Rogue Audio M-120 vs M-150

Hello;

I've had a pair of Rogue Audio Magnum M-120 amps for about 18 months now and drive them with a Rogue Audio Magnum 99 preamp. I've been extremely pleased with them, to say the least. Well I recently called Mark of Rogue Audio to order a new set of output tubes and he made me a great offer on upgrading my amps to the newer M-150's. Unfortunately there is no place near me where I can listen to the M-150's so if I upgrade it will have to be without hearing them first. Mark thinks I would be happy with the upgrade and he hasn't steered me wrong yet, but I was hoping to get some additional input before making a decision.

Mark tells me that the newer design produces far less heat, has about double the output tube life, and is more dynamic and transparent. Given how pleased I've been with my current amps I'm more than a little hesitant, but if I can take my system up a notch at a reasonable price, why not? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day
Brad
a292
I originally found out about the upgrade when I called Mark to get a new set of tubes for my M-120's. The KT88's were going to cost me $300. As you mentioned the upgrade includes the KT88's. It also includes all the small signal tubes. I actually pulled all the tubes out of the amps before shipping them.

I asked Mark to install a set of his favorite small signal tubes instead of the stock ones. The ones out of the M-120's are still fine so I'll have something to compare them to. I always wanted to try different tubes, just never got around to it. Once I finally got my system set up properly I was happy just listening to it, didn't touch anything for about 18 months - until now. Every time I would think about any kind of "tweak" I would wind up turning the system on for a while first and then, so much for the tweaks. I could never bring myself to shut it off to mess with things... I may be in the minority but once my system is sounding good I very much prefer to just listen rather than to keep tweaking it. In fact until I talked to Mark I had no plans to change anything, just knew I would be needing new output tubes soon, and he had to go and tell me about the upgrade... :-)

Have a good day
Brad
It's a good idea to pull the tubes out regardless.

I've received the amps twice (once on purchase, second time to have an errant resistor replaced on one amp), each time they had been knocked around enough to break the tubes' "stems" off inside the sockets.

This did not affect the functionality of the tubes, but does make installing them more difficult. I ended up marking the base of the tube to make correct pin alignment simpler.

I don't mind getting them with new tubes; I'll probably play the 88's for a few months and then put the GE's back in.

KP
Kind of off topic, but does any here know if the M-120 or M-150 have enough power to drive a pair of Salon? I read many great thing about the Rogue Amps so I would like to get a pair. But the Salon require a lot of power to drive it. Thanks for the help.
I don't know how much power you need but, In triode mode, the amps don't start to clip until right around 100 watts
I JUST BOUGHT THE M150'S . LOVE THEIR LOOKS ,FACEPLATES ARE HALF AN INCH THICK ANODIZE ALUMINUM, FIT AND FINISH IS SECOND TO NONE, WONDERFULL PRODUCT AND AT 55LBS EACH THEY ARE BIG. I CAN'T COMMENT ABOUT THE SOUND ,AS I HAVEN'T BOUGHT SPEAKERS FOR THEM YET ,STILL LOOKING ANY IDEAS????
KILLERPIGLET I THINK I SHOULD CHECK THE TUBES ON THEM ,YOU GOT ME THINKING ,THEY WERE SHIPPED UPS AND THOSE GUYS ARE ROUGH.