Rockport's or Magico's

I have heard that these two speaker lines employ some state of the art design concepts.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the new Magico M5 and Rockport Altair at Goodwins or anywhere else?

How similar are they and where do they differ?

Thanks AO
aoliviero
You might want to post this question over at:

http://www.ultrahighendforum.com/index.php

I believe there are members there who have heard both.
i heard the altair and the more expenssive magico m6's in the same room. while they both sounded great, the altair with a $70,000.00 cheaper list price then the m6, sounded their equal in the mid and upper ranges. i felt the altair had the better and more impressive lower end. it is very defined, no bloom just sounds like music. the imagining is great and you can tell where each musician is standing. the built quality of both speakers(all aluminum m6's) is fantastic, although, and many may disagree, i was not impressed with the wood build of the magico V3's or the mini 11's the m5 were not out yet but i am not a fan of their look. i thought they were unattractive. just my opinion. i bought the altairs. i love them and would only consider parting with them to move up to the rockport arrakis. andy builds a great speaker. the rockpoerts are very heavy, the altair's weigh 515lb's each. jeff fritz has written a better desciptive review then i can. i am in the southen nj area if you ever wish to hear.
Koegz , what a wonderful reply , you indeed must be a special person from just your few words! Ive not even heard either.
Koegz,

Thank you for your first hand comments. I have never heard the Rockports but I did hear the Magico V3 and M6 at CES ~3 years ago. while they were powered by different systems, I did prefer the sound of the V3 over the M6 beleive it or not! I understand the M6 has gone through an update which has similar deiver materials as the V3 drivers. May things have changed.

Regarding looks, while I don't like the look of hte V3, the M5 has a cool look which reminds me of Danish furniture. Anyway, that is less important to me than the sound. Valin in TAS is saying it is the highest resolution speaker he has had in his system.

In you opinion, is the Altair exceedingly high in resolution. I'm assuming it is given the very stiff, high-tech driver materials and inert cabinet construction. On Rockports website they compare their speakers to the strengths of the electrostatic variety without having their weaknesses. Also, thanks for your offer for a listen. Ultimately I would like to head up to Goodwins to hopefully hear them sise by side.

Cjrfbw,

AO

Ultimately I plan to head up to
i love the look of the M6, very cool looking. i consider buying them. the altair has great resolution. the V3 while they are an excellent speaker, left me feeling like something was missing. good luck on your desission process.