RIP Ray Charles

A sad passing of one of the GREATS. Can we start a petition to have his version of "America" instituted as our National Anthem?
4yanx
Many great representatives of American popular music have passed away in recent years, but none meant more to me than Ray Charles. I can't imagine anyone who represents American music more completely than Ray. But he was no mere cataloger or chronicler; he was a deeply original creator and interpreter. From his big band sounds to his incredibly tasty jazz piano licks to swinging C&W to hard-rockin' R&B to spiritual and gospel to super-fine duets with the likes of Betty Carter and Cleo Laine, and to lush, beautiful pop -- the landscape of great music he created from his bottomless well of soul truly swept from sea to shining sea. Our concepts of high fidelity become totally irrelevant to me when I consider the profound impact Ray Charles has had on my listening experiences. Without exaggeration, a giant.
It's been a sad week already, and the passing of another legend makes it that much harder.

True greatness is never replaced. There will never be another Ray Charles. Others will come along that we will/do love too, but there is no replacement.

Thank you Ray Charles for stirring our hearts and sharing your life!
How about some suggestions for good recordings and performances available from Ray Charles. It's sad that I have none in my collection and his passing makes me want to explore his work.
I heard about the passing this afternoon on NPR. We have lost another great one. The first thing I did when I got home today was to sit in the sweet spot and listen to "Let's Go Get Stoned". Has to be one of my favorite songs by him. He will be missed.
Ray Charles was an original whose music will stand the test of time. I heard the news while listening to a local Portland jazz station and they put on "Georgia" as a tribute. It's hard to believe he's gone.

Tds34: A great deal of his best music can be found on "Genius and Soul", a five disc box set.