Review: Virutal Dynamics Nite Interconnect

Category: Cables

I recently compared the Nite to the Quattro Fil RCA interconnects between my pre-amp and amp. I was introduced to Virtual Dynamics through Audiogon and was extremely impressed with their power cords, especially the Nite series. Therefore, while I thought the Quattro Fil was as "state of the art" as I could afford and was and is a good quality interconnect, I just had to try the Nite interconnect. This is an initial review, as the Nite has only been installed for three days. The Nite dramatically expands the soundstage in ALL directions, presents a more three-dimensional space with lots of air and harmonics with bloom and decay more vividly rendered than with the Quattro Fil. Opera becomes much more involving, with greater separation and micro/macro dynamics with instruments, chorus and especially major performers. Organ notes are deeper and bass in general is more controlled but still "connected" with the music. Jazz trios are much more "there". The Quatrro Fil is more forward, with great center fill but vocals more separated from the accompanists. Nite has a much deeper soundstage, and an dramtically improved sense of the venue and bloom and decay of the music. Very, very involving. I will not return to the Quattro Fil.

Associated gear
Pass Labs X-1 pre-amp
Music Reference RM9MkII amp w/6550s
Snell Type A loudspeakers
Nordost SPM reference speaker cables

Similar products
Nordost Quattro Fil
jdsaudio
i also went from quattro fil,to vd nite ic's . you should review equipment for a living.my sounstage widened,& depth increased dramatically.the male & female voices now had a body behind them.i just bought a second pair to use on my dac to pre run,trying to rid my system of digital glare.give them a good 200 hours to maximize there bass potential & fill in the mids.ive used discovery essence,quattro fill,ht magic,steath pgs,hms topmatch,& acoustic zen silver mk1,but feel like i finally found the interconnect for my system,happy holidays
I upgraded from the Virtual Dynamics Reference to the NITE series and compared both running from my AA Capitole MKII CDP. The upgrade to NITE was not a small one... As both other reviewers mentioned, 3D imaging and musicality increased substantially. This was also right out of the box! Clarity is also one of its virtues; the highs are crystal clear just like silver but without the coherence and midrange bleaching issues.
Does Virutal Dynamics relable somebody elses stranded wire or do they make their cable all in house like the Kimber Select does. The only cable I found to really make anything but a suble kind of difference was the Kimber Select. The Kimber Select just happens to be a cable that was developed and every part of the cable built in house. Most use somebody eleses stranded or solid core wire ,, like from Belden or one of the other large wire manufactures..and repackage it. Any body ever compare this cable to the Kimber Select? Not many cable makers make all their own parts and design and manufacture every part of the cable in house, even the wire itself (except an opt WBT connector if wanted). Just wondering,,, I think the Kimber KS 3035 and KS 1130/1030 are good cables,, of course it's all system dependent. Whats so outstanding about a Quatro fil,,, SPEED,, Nordas gave up so much other qualities for speed. Any one compare this cable to the Kimber Select? I would concider the KS 3035 to be a reference cable. I've had other smaller cable makers make claims to me that their cable was as good or better than the Kimber Select to only find them falling way behind and only being common. Either a silver or copper signature sound.. The finer quality like air, inner detail, TONE, space, transparency, bass definition missing. Seeing a lot of talk about this cable and I already see it for sale used.. A Kimber 3035 comes up a couple times a year on the used market and when it does it sells fast... I'm just wondering. Thx in advance, mike
Mikec, that previous response really had no place in this thread... I've never even seen this kind of stuff on Audioreview.com.
Mikec, you should give Rick Schultz at Virtual Dynamics a call, he can clear up any questions you might have about his product. I've been running his entire cryo'd Audition Package since the beginning of the year and during the summer upgraded the digital cable to Nite.

Even cryo'd and cooked at the factory Virtual Dynamics cables need lot's of time to fully break-in but when they do, wow! Straight out of the box I've always noticed that Virtual Dynamics cables and cords throw a massive soundstage with great center focus. They do sound a bit icy early on, but that wears away after a few weeks to a month, then you get both detail and flowing musicality.