Review: Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD Player

Category: Digital

I love natural recordings that capture the full acoustic envelope of the performances. The Shostakovich Sonatas performed by Ax and YYMa comes to mind...the Sony portrays the entire event in such an unforced and natural manner that it triggers ones acoustic memory into believing it is real. A player that offers no tone color or openness would be my worst nightmare. I replaced my BAT VK D5 24 bit CDP and was amazed at how much resolution and color was lost on the older design. The Sony re-creates the space, music and acoustic tones with overtones so completely that you start to smile and realize that you have been given a great gift...a peak into the performance as it occured at the recording session. My opinion of the Sony applies as much for the redbook section as it does for the SACD section. This player will become a classic product for digital playback....much better it does not get! It's a keeper at any price,,,for $1500 USD it is a freakin steal. This is Sony's best effort to date and manages to break new ground in the digital domain:)

Associated gear
Wilson Sophia speakers
Krell 400xi amp
Harmonic Tech Cables
MIT Oracle AC 2 power cord

Similar products
Sony SCD-1
Sony SCD-XA9000ES
Sony SCD-XA777ES
Levinson 39, 390S, 360S
Wadia 851
Krell SACD Standard
MF A5
BAT VK D524bit
ARC CD 3
128x128dave_b

Showing 22 responses by dave_b

Hey Budt, I'd be interested in your impressions after you break her in...if it's the music your interested in then I think the Sony will make you happy:O)
Disbeliever is right...no problems with sibilance or high frequencies whatsoever. In fact, the high frequency reproduction of the XA5400ES is one of it's outstanding features...pure, grain free and harmonicaly full of life with zero glare or digititus:O)
Budt, several hundred hours of play time will bring a fuller, more palpable and layered sound.
Like 5 seconds unless switching from RB to SACD which is a few more seconds, but nothing remotely like the SCD-1 was.
No and no, but the Accuphase stuff is known for musicality. Nordost is my least favorite cable company based on past experience.
Clayx, have you put 400+hrs on the unit yet? The Sony is very revealing of cabling and power issues as well. I use a Transparent PLMM into an MIT Super 20 Duplex with MIT M1.3 Prolines feeding my Krell. AC noise into the Sony and backwash from the Sony back into the mains is addressed by my PC and Duplex conditioner. The Sony itself has no inherent distortion, grundge nor does it reduce soundstaging or limit bass extension. It does take a long time to burn in however.
The Sony has excellent bass response and dynamic contrast, which will ultimately be determined by what power cord and IC's you use. The Krell was a tad more forcefull, but didn't have quite the dynamic shadings.
Check out the new Mapleshade clearview excalibur plus XLR IC's...pure analog sound coming out of my Sony XA5400ES. It's not likely I'll be doing any upgrades or Mod's to the Sony now...the excaliburs have transformed my system!! Talked with Allen Wright about my findings and he confirmed that what I was hearing was the result of what he considers to be the best approach to cabling...thin ribbons:O) Helps with DDR or Downward Dynamic Range, that being the ease with which one can discern subtle sonic events in the midst of acoustic Tsunami's. 30 days no hassle return!!
I sent my player to Dan Wright today. For $2000 dollars it is nothing short of a gift what Dan's modification entails. You also get an external power supply!! can;t wait.
Nice system Gregfey! I'll be sure to post my review after a thorough listen with all genre of music.
Who are you talking too disbeliever? This post is in regards to the Sony XA5400ES/Modwright CDP. Some of what you say is true, however, having an intelligently designed tube circuit utilized on the front end of a system can provide for a far more realistic and organic listening experience. I've sat 2 ft from an alto sax/piano/bass trio and I can tell you that an entirely SS system will not reproduce that melt you into your chair feeling. The sax was so sonorous and burnished that it simply made love to my ears....the Modwright XA5400ES get's me real close to that sound.
I understand completely...I meant to imply that Dan could point you in the right direction:O) Get the player and convert it...enjoy it and then save up for the mod!! It's worth waiting for.
FYI, I put together a very musicaly satisfying system with an NAD C565BEE front end using a Yoquin Tube Buffer. It may not quite equal the 5400 Modwright player, but it sure delivers the same gestalt. Total price ran around $1K.
I have an MIT Magnum AC2 on my NAD C375BEE, an Audioquest NRG3 wt EMF filters on the C565BEE, an MIT Magnum AC1 on my Totem Dreamcatcher sub and an old ARC Ref 3 preamp PC I had laying around for my Yaqin buffer. The more i listen the more enthralled I am. At this point I'm finding myself more connected with my music than I have been for a very long time. The Yaqin is absolutely flawless, dead quiet, dynamic as hell and clear as a bell with some of the best tone I have ever experienced! It's awesomely adddictive and a great alternative to the modwright upgrade.
I'm not sure really, as my time with the NAD and the Yaoin tube buffer have only been with the new setup. All I can say is that I have never been more addicted to listening as I am now. So, in my current system, I would have to say that I do not miss the Sony at all...weird!