Review on Coda Technologies 16 Amplifier went live today

Just wanted to inform the individuals that have shown interest in reading the full review on Stereo Times website, not just the comments on the on-going thread about the 16 amplifier, that it was posted this morning.  It gets into the details why this is a spectacular piece regarding performance, build quality, and it's very reasonable price for what you get for your money.

teajay
@teajay 

Thanks for the response.  I find the Coda/NSMT combination very intriguing.  I will arrange a visit to Audio Archon in August when I am in the area (corona virus willing) to check it out.
If I'm not mistaken Doug at Coda was using the same Toshiba transistors that Pass Labs was. In reading your review, it sounds like they have moved away from those Transistors? Is that your understanding?
@dep14, there are (at least) two main types of transistors used in Coda power amps. The input stage uses a new FET transistor which I don't believe we have details on. The output stage, however, uses the OnSemi / Motorola ThermalTrak high-bandwidth bipolar junction transistors (28 per side). I do not have experience with older Coda products, but know they have used the ThermalTrak for quite some time, as do companies they OEM for like Sanders. The massive power transformer is made by Keen Ocean.
For any Audiogoners that might be interested in the CODA 16 or other CODA products we would be happy to answer further questions.  Feel free to contact us.

Thanks!
Mike
Audio Archon - CODA dealer
For any Audiogoners that might be interested in the CODA 16 or other CODA products we would be happy to answer further questions. Feel free to contact us.
I’m very happy that I found this thread. I was going to write you a letter, but now I can ask here, right?) I need your advice which version of Coda № 8 to take. As I understand there are 3 of them:
  • V3: 400 Watts per channel Class AB into 8 Ohms, 800 Watts per channel Class AB into 4 Ohms, Class A ~8 Watts
  • V2: 250 Watts per channel Class AB into 8 Ohms, 500 Watts per channel Class AB into 4 Ohms, Class A ~12 Watts
  • V1: 150 Watts per channel Class AB into 8 Ohms, 300 Watts per channel Class AB into 4 Ohms, Class A ~18 Watts

• I’m leaning toward V1, because I want it to sound good on low and moderate levels and I like more delicate sound of A class for music listening. But sometimes I want push it hard too. I know that Terry tested it with high sensivity speakers and V.1 was great for him, but I have Dynaudio Evoke 50 ( Sensitivity: 87dB Impedance: 4 Ω).So would V1 be enough? Or it wouldn’t play in A class with my speakers anyway and I’d better go to more AB power with V3 (800 Watts looks great on the paper). Hope I made my self clear, ’cause english is not my native language)
    I'd email Coda to confirm, but my recommendation would be to go with V1. That's what Doug recommended for my Maggies. V1 and the 15.5/16.0 are "better suited to low-impedance speaker systems where higher current capability yields superior performance." I think if you ran the numbers on how much power you actually use at normal and even loud volumes, you may be surprised that you'll virtually always be within the Class A range except on dynamic peaks:  https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html