Review: Classe Audio 70 Amplifier

Category: Amplifiers

This was purchased from fellow Audiogon Member this past summer. For all practical purposes this amp is in like new condition and came with box and manual and not a flaw to be had.

Had always wanted to try a Classe amp and had heard some very good things about the Classe brand. The Model 70 had impressed me several years ago with its musicality and that first impression remains true today. With the Model 70 Classe remained true to their doctrine that all products regardless of price must deliver the music with astounding depth and clarity. The Model 70 does that with exceptional ease. New these sold for $1,195.00 and sell now for about half that amount. Have kept their value well and continue to deliver one dynamic performance after another. This one of the very best class a/ab amplifiers I have ever owned and I have owned some of the very best in the last 47 years. Been in this hobby since 1957, so I can speak with some knowledge.

The Classe 70 is mated to a Marsh P 2000 pre-amp driving some vintage Time Window speakers and I could not be more happy with this current set up. This is in my second system,that now I am listening to more each day. In fact the Time Windows have never sounded better, the Classe does a remarkable job of extracting the best from the Time Windows.

The initial program material I listen to was Chris Botti "Night Sessions". One of the more 3 dimensional presentations I have heard. Sounded as though Chris was in the room. Next up was Earl Klugh "Sudden Burst of Energy". Another unexpected experience. Earls guitar just jump to life and if one listens closely can hear Earls finger work as he strikes the strings. Amazing definition. From there just had to try some Rock n Roll and used the venerable Santana Abraxas recording for its many instruments and tonal qualities. Once again my expectations were not disappointed. The Classe 70 can rock and deliver bass with authority that belies its power rating.

Specifications:

75 Watts stereo,high current design,sleek curved slimline chassis with dual heat sinks at rear,both regular and fully balanced operation switchable.

Frequency Response : 20Hz to 20KHz +/- 0.1 dB

Sensitivity : 900 mV in for rated output

Input Impedance : 70 K Ohms

S/N Ratio : More than 100 dB

Rated Output : 8 ohms 75 Watts Stereo

4 ohms 150 Watts Stereo

Dimensions: Gross : 22"x 19 1/2" x 10 1/2"
Net : 19" x 11 3/4" x 4 7/8"

Weight: Gross : 35 lbs
Net : 30 lbs

The Classe Model 70 will have a very long time in my second system. It does the one thing I ask all Stereo Components and that is to deliver the music with depth,clarity,detail and transparency. I does so with amazing ease.

For me this is as good as it gets for Class A/AB amplifiers. If there is better out there in this price range I have yet to hear it.

Associated gear
Marsh P 2000 Pre Amp,Sony CD Player,Denon DVD Player,DCM Time Window Speakers.

Similar products
Bryston 3B,Parasound Halo,Rega,Sim Audio,Muse,etc.
ferrari
I too have owned and found the Classe Seventy to be a very musical amp worthy of the excellent praise it received in The Absolute Sound when it was in its early production. I know many other well seasoned audiophiles whose ears I trust that feel this was an excellent design and a great deal for what it cost.

What I find somewhat sad are the responses from Zaiksman and particularily Bigbry. Based on one of Classe's entry level preamps Bigbry feels the need to criticize not only the model Seventy, which he's never even heard, but the entire Classe line. Bigbry, I'm curious what the point of your post is since you obviously have no real experience to offer, just negative criticism of what another member has found to be very nice. I have not heard the 30, but I have extensive experience with with the DR-6 and CP-60 preamps, the DR-15, CA-300 and CA-100 amps, as well as the Seventy and they are anything but "muddy, dark, and shut in with low resolution."

Zaikesman, you obvioulsy fall clearly into the tubes are better than solid state camp and I'm not about to argue that the Seventy is better than the CJ MV-55 since I've not compared them, but they are a different approach and suit different tastes and systems. But come on, comparing the Seventy to mass market receivers? Put into the right system the Seventy is a very musically satisfying amplifer and represents a very nice value at current used prices. Obviously Ferrari has found this to be true in his system, and as you have mentioned, so have many others. So I ask you as well, what is the point of your post? To me it is just critical of what another member has found to be excellent based on their taste and experience. Finally, you might want to be a little more sure of Classe's history of design before posting. All of the early designs with the DR designation were designed by David Riech (sp?) when Classe was a very small company. The DR designation was dropped when DR left and Glen Grue(sp?)took over the company and its designs. The Seventy, Ten, Fifteen, and Twentyfive were all designed by GG as were the preamps, but retained similarities to the earlier DR designs. Of these the Seventy and Fifteen were the most popular. Classe has grown into a large company and today, according to one of their techs, a design team is responsible for their designs.

Thanks for your post Ferrari, I enjoyed reading it. I have also heard very nice things about your Marsh preamp and it sounds like a good match for the Seventy. I found it interesting your use of the DCM Time Windows, a very inovative design in its day and apparently still very enjoyable today in your system. Enjoy the music!
Tnadu: You asked, "But come on, comparing the Seventy to mass-market receivers?"

What I said above: "...I'm guessing it would still beat many mass-market receivers around the price it goes for used in terms of fulless and body." Well, so would a Krell monoblock - why do you take this to be some sort of slam?

You also said, "You might want to be a little more sure of Classe's history of design before posting." You then go on to say essentially the same thing I wrote in my post, which is that the lead designer for the Seventy was not the same guy as for the DR series or their current offerings - a point I raised in response to Bigbry's post, who's somewhat careless inference about Classe in general (true as his reporting may be for him personally) you also took exception to. Although I had forgotten GG's name since I owned the amp, again, just what is it about my words that you're attempting to call out here?

As to your supposition that I'm simply a tube kinda guy who'll never like SS, I wrote: "This makes me wonder whether I could ever be happy with relatively inexpensive SS sound (something I haven't attempted to survey)." That is as honest and open a statement of my position on the question as I can fathom a way to write. Sure, I like tubes, but that doesn't mean I like just any tubed amplifier. By the same token, don't read more than is there into my wondering about affordable SS - a few of the most accomplished amps I have ever auditioned were solid-state. For instance, I have no reason not to think that Classe's top offerings of today might not surpass the tubed amps I currently use in many ways - indeed quite possibly in all ways - but I don't know from personal experience, which is why I didn't attempt some sort of definitive pronouncement on the relative merits of the two technologies (and would never presume to do so). Rather, my musings were simply a logical extension of Ferrari's finding that he liked the little Classe better than many of the budget (used, I'll assume) SS contenders he's owned/auditioned and listed as such, which by implication might mean I would prefer my budget C-J over them by an even wider margin than I did with the Seventy. But I made sure to qualify that sentiment with my parenthetical statement that I had not surveyed all the competition, and by noting that Ferrari and I seem to hear differently regarding the Seventy's merits and shortcomings anyway.

Tubes vs. SS wasn't the point of my posts, but I felt that readers should be provided with some sort of context about where my comments were coming from. Please don't try to hang me for being forthcoming - all I'm interested in good sound, not which method one prefers to get there. I will happily affirm that the Seventy will beat out any similarly-priced (new) tube amp I know of in terms of bass slam and weight, although not necessarily overall bass musicality (I found its bass wasn't as open - didn't 'breathe' or 'flow' as well and wasn't as transparent - as I might have liked, and tended to somewhat overshadow the amp's mids and trebles in a way that detracted from its overall coherence). My main point wasn't that the amp was terrible, but that I had a different take on it, and have never understood exactly where its apparently persistent lofty reputation comes from. Obviously, I think it is possible to do much better for not a lot more money on the used market.

You call my posts "sad", ask what the point of my writing them is, and conclude that "...it is just critical of what another member has found to be excellent...". All I can say is that Ferrari himself seems to have no such qualms about my contributions, which I can assure you are just as honestly reported as I'm sure his or yours are. You seem to think that I, or anybody with a divergent take, ought to self-censor before posting anything negative following a positive review in an open forum. Now, *that's* sad!
High end at best is a subjective endeavour. And yes we all hear sounds different from each other. After all we are human and we all are subject to our environment we have moved in. Based upon this initial review I find nothing I can carp on. I owned a 70 for many years and would not hesitate to recommend this amplifier to anyone seeking fine music reproduction. Based upon the products that were listed as similiar products, I would find this to be a very good base in recommending the 70. After all Ferrari has been at this far longer than I have and that probably goes for about 90 percent of the membership here. That alone speaks volumes.

I have since moved further upstream in audio, but the Classe 70 remains a fond memory. Thanks for the review.
Good to see there is still some spirited debate here. You're right we all have subtle differences in audible perception. The whole point of this is the music, remember the fundamentals... straight wire with gain. The exhausting pursuit of that live performance being realized right in our own living rooms. Well I must say the Classe 70 succeeds in spades in these crucial areas. I never had the pleasure of owning one, but my close friend does. And it is with great humility that I must bow my head and admit defeat. The Classe 70 blows the pants off my Krell KSA 300 S, and I've owned many other fine amplifiers like Sonic frontiers, Cary, Audio Note, Spectral, Mark Levinson, YBA, Conrad Johnson and far too many more. And Please stop with the tubes. Be honest with yourselves, how long did it take you to adjust to that tube sound... 6 monthes... a year, I never did! Exagerated mid's, rolled off highs, they can have em. The only real experience that has become important to me is how MUSICAL and INVOLVING the amplifier is. I'm sorry to say to Zaikesman,who said "Easily able to surpass the sound of the Classe 70". Not a chance!! You're talking to a previous owner of a DR 2. And yes... The 70 beats the beasty DR 2 as well. I won't even respond to Bigbry's comments. Once in a while, along comes an amplifier like the CJ Premier 5,Mark Levinson ML 2's, Spectral DMA 180, Mac MC 240, Pass Labs Aleph 0, and so on that gets it right! Classe got the 70 right. That's why everybodies talking about it here, that's why I've seen a couple of fellow audiophiles almost cry after selling theirs, and thats why there highly sought after. Congradulations Ferrari you now own one of the most musical amplifiers in the world...Bar none!!
Fascinating. Maybe I should've held onto mine and sold it for the big bux after everybody reads this thread... :-)

As I alluded to above, it had been a long time since I'd had a solid-state amp in here, and I was curious what might be done today in the way of a moderately-priced one, along the Seventy's general lines. Well, I solved that by going and buying a McCormack DNA-125 from a fellow 'Goner not too long ago. Compact, inexpensive, well-reviewed, power MOSFET's, cult-like following - but almost double the wattage.

This amp was a very pleasant surprise for me. In fact, it showed up some shortcomings with my VTL tube mono's that I ultimately traced to some failing tubes. It's good to have a SS amp around just as a point of reference for consistent performance. I would rate this McCormack much more highly than my Seventy. It's not perfect, but I find it easily more "musical" and "involving" - and just plain competent - than the older Classe. Some of you guys should try to hear one (well warmed-up).

However, after flirting for a few days, when I finally got my tube situation straightened out it became clear that the silicon-hearted amp was never going to tempt me away from my fire bottles. I find it interesting Scanton that you feel tubes always sound rolled-off up top - I've never heard a sub-mega-buck SS amp that sounded as open through the treble to me as an above-entry-level tube amp usually does. It's also interesting that the oft-expressed sentiments about 'musicality' and 'involvement' are being turned by you against tubes, because that's usually exactly what people who love tubes argue to those SS'ers who complain about specs and bass...

Anyway, to answer your question about how long it originally took me to "adjust" to tube sound in my system? - About 30 minutes..."honest"!