Retro Hi End Trivia Question

Does anyone remember the "Quatre Gain Cell" amplifier?

While thinking about various configurations for my latest "new" system, I found myself daydreaming about the "high end" room of my local dealer when I was still in school:

as I recall, a Thorens turntable with an Infinity black widow arm, the Apt Holman preamp, and Dahlquist DQ 10s and Dahlquist subwoofer driven by the mysterious "Quatre Gain Cell".

It sounded great -- the type of sound and music and fun that got me into this addiction where I am still unsuccessfully chasing the first high....

I would be interested in buying one of these amps for fun to put in a bedroom, but I never see or hear about them.
cwlondon

When I worked at Quatre, we would often receive the better gear of the day for comparison.

I remember the Rappaport preamp was the best thing out there. (I strongly disagree with an early post). The Rappaport wasn't built that well, but if it didn't shock you, it worked and worked great. I remember someone brough in a gorgeous, state of the FET preamp from Infinity. It sounded so bad we wondered if it there was something wrong with it. We also tried the Apt Holman, which I don't remember being terribly impressed with. People would rave about the (Holman designed) preamp section of the Advent 300 receiver (I loved the look - very military), but didn't think the preamp was at all impressive.

The Denons were good MC cartridges, but I remember the hot setup was the Supex. But they kinda varied from unit to unit. When you got a good one - wow - was it ever good. The "bad" ones were not bad, but a good one was simply awesome.

I remember someone bringing in a pair (this was mid-to late 70's) of speakers from a very new company called Vandersteen. They were the 2s - which sounded very good indeed. One of our dealers brought in another new-ish speaker at the time - the Rogers BBC LS35a's. Very impressive little speaker. They still sound pretty good.

And we were awed by an old pait of AR3a's with the DG250 - man did that amp have good bass - it just transformed the AR's bottom end which tended to be on the tubby side.

Launer

Excellent memory and thanks for more high end nostalgia.

I now recall that I borrowed the legendary Rappaport for one weekend from the dealer where I worked during high school.

I remember wondering if it was really any better than my Hafler DH101, and also thinking that I could scramble eggs on top of it if the kitchen stove didnt work.

The Advent receiver - yes I remember that one, too and the cult following for using it as a preamp.

Most people seemed to like the Apt preamp, so I would say you have a contrarian view there.
I have a Quatra DG250. Does anyone have any schematics? One of the channels is dead. Its a black anodized box with led meter on front.
Here is a high end trivia question for the analogue experts:

Circa 1980, there were some Absolute Sound recommended tweaks including:

"Platter Matter" a blue, sticky, sorbothaney platter pad...some other sticky stuff which could be applied in between the headshell and the cartridge, the underside of the platter, or heck - just about anywhere...

...and various after market record clamps including a beautifully machined, black metal clamp with a big silver, spring loaded button in the middle of the clamp.

The silver button expanded and contracted the hole in the clamp to grip the spindle of the turntable.

Could anyone recall what kind of record clamp this was?

Would love to find another one for my vintage collection.

Thank you,
Mr C- One such clamp was the Orsonic Disc Stabilizer(DS-250), which I'm holding in my hand at the moment(black body, silver button and all).