Rega P25 question

My friend is getting a P25 and was wondering what cartridge matches people have had good sucess with it.

I like the Garrott p-77. Anyone heard it on a P25?

Thanks as always, Benthar
benthar
I'm using the Denon 103R on my P25 and I really like the sound. And, at $259 shipped from Japan it didn't break the bank either.

I was using a Rega Exact before... but the Denon is worlds better to my ears.

Paul Green
Hello,

I use a Goldring 1042 with my Rega P25. This cartridge is a good match for several motives. Firstly, this cartridge works well in a medium mass tonearm as the RB600. In this case, you will not have any problem with warped records. Also, the musical personnality of the P25 which is sweet, detailed and warm is a good team with the dynamic goldring. If you use a warm and dynamic amp with a neutral and dynamic speaker, you will be very satisfied with the goldring. It's not a good idea to use the goldring with a bright speaker. Lastly, it's easy to change the tip!
Hello,

This threat is very interesting ! I have a P25 with a SuperBias cartridge and the sound is not terrific...
I've been advised to choose between Goldring 1042, Ortofon Vinyl Master Silver and Audio technica 440ML... Very difficult to know which one is the best choice !

Do you know if I would need a spacer to ajust the VTA with an new cartridge ?

Thank you,
Nico
Dear Nico,

With the Goldring 1042 you will need 1 spacer of 4 millimeters or 3 of 1 millimeters. I recommend you 3 of 1 millimeters because you probably use the Rega mat which has a 3 millimeters of thickness. In my case, I use a spacer of 4 millimeters because I don't use the Rega mat. I use the "tripad eon canada" mat which was made in the eighties with a 4 millimeters of thickness. It doesn't exist anymore. The Goldring is a good choice if you have a soft (Paradigm Studio 100 by example) or a neutral speaker (JM LAB Chorus 715 by example). It takes about 3 months of breaking in. The first hours, the goldring sounds bright, agressive and hard but after that it sounds neutral, dynamic, enjoyable and detailed. It just sounds right! Don't use it with a bright speaker like the Rega Alya. Good luck!