Reel to Reel for play back

I am sure if I search the threads I may find the answer but would prefer fresh info.
If I wanted to get into Reel to Reel for play back only can I get a unit for under $1000.00? And if so what make should I be looking for.
Also what is this 7.5 or 10" reels ? I thought Reel to Reel players would play all sizes?
FYI: I am 85 percent vinyl, 10 percent digital and 5 percent undecided.
Any and all input would be appreciated.
If I can do for less then a 1000.00 all the better, if it takes more $$$ so be it. Gives me something to consider.
Dave
valleyplastic
It's a total crapshoot, depending on the auction vibes at the moment. Then, when you get the tape you won, you learn whether it's in reasonable condition, totally trashed, has the beginning track lopped off, etc. Since many of the sellers find the tapes at estate sales and have no way to play them, they're sold "as is." It's all part of the game. Sure you want to play?

:-)
I've actually never listened to a reel to reel. Someone I know has CCR,James Brown,Chicago,Santana,Joe Cocker,Led Zeppelin III,Mitch Ryder,Aretha Franklin on factory recorded reels. He would sell them for $50.
I use 2 machines one is a Akai GX-646 and in MINT condition and the other is a Pioneer RT-909 in Museum condition and both are AWESOME, both play 7 1/2 and 10 inch reels, I still record and play tapes and listen to and record Albums to tape all the time, even though I have a about 20,000 MP3's, I still prefer albums and tapes (reel to reel and cassette both)just my opinion though..Thanks, Don
I have 3 decks a Sony TC-765, an Otari MX5050 BII-2, and my pride and joy a Studer A810. The Otari is for sure the best bang for the buck, hard to beat it they sound great.
I have been into reel to reel since 75. My huge vinyl collection was the reason for reel to reel.
I had a Teac X1000R. I now own an Otari Mx-5050 and a Technics 2 track 1500. In comparison, the playback on the Otari sounds as good as the recorded CD; while the Technics 2 track sounds better than the recorded CD.
This high sound quality comes at a price; the Technics uses twice as much tape.
The enjoyment you will reap from your vinyl collection is worth a substantial investment.
I would recomend a 10 inch Revox with warranty.